stentorian \sten-TOR-ee-uhn\ , adjective;
- Extremely loud.
Origin: Stentorian comes from Stentor, a Greek herald in the Trojan War. According to Homer's Iliad, his voice was as loud as that of fifty men combined.
- A phrase used to make insults seem socially acceptable.
"You've got huge bitch tits, Patrick... no offense."
- Black Tuesday: the US stock market crashed and the Great Depression began (1929)
- Star of India: giant star sapphire was stolen, along with other fabulous gems, from the American Museum of Natural History (1964)
- NOW: the women's organization was founded (1966)
- Internet: the first host-to-host connection was made on the ARPANet between UCLA and SRI in California (1969)
- John Glenn: the first American in orbit took flight aboard the Discovery shuttle, becoming, at 77, the oldest person to visit space (1998)
"Super Storm Sandy" hit New York, leaving over 90% of Long Island without power. (2012)
- Daniel Emmett 1815
- Fanny Brice 1891
- Douglas Montgomery 1891
- Akim Tamiroff 1899
- William Juzda 1920
- Bill Mauldin 1921
- Neal Hefti 1922
- Zoot (John Haley) Sims 1925
- Jon Vickers 1926
- Sonny Osbourne (Osborne Brothers) 1937
- Lee Clayton 1942
- Bob Ross 1942 (Painter)
- Denny Laine (Moody Blues, Wings) 1944
- Melba Moore 1945
- Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) 1946
- Richard Dreyfuss 1947
- Kate Jackson 1948
- Ed Dyck 1950
- Tracee Ellis Ross 1972
- Trevor Lissauer 1973