scuttlebutt \SKUHT-l-buht\, noun:
- A drinking fountain on a ship.
- A cask on a ship that contains the day's supply of drinking water.
- Informal. Gossip; rumor.
Scuttlebutt comes from scuttle, "a small opening" + butt, "a large cask" -- that is, a small hole cut into a cask or barrel to allow individual cups of water to be drawn out. The modern equivalent is the office water cooler, also a source of refreshment and gossip.
- A tired metaphor for the different tasks a single person in a particular occupation is responsible for performing, primarily employed by stupid, annoying, pretentious people. Avoid these people if you can.
Annoying guy: In my particular line of work, I find that I must put on many different hats. I make copies, staple papers, and eat potato chips.
- A picture taken of yourself that is planned to be uploaded to Facebook, Myspace or any other sort of social networking website. You can usually see the person's arm holding out the camera in which case you can clearly tell that this person does not have any friends to take pictures of them so they resort to Myspace to find internet friends and post pictures of themselves, taken by themselves. A selfie is usually accompanied by a kissy face or the individual looking in a direction that is not towards the camera.
- Thomas Edison: invented a workable incandescent electric lamp in his Menlo Park lab (1879)
- Guggenheim: stunning Frank Lloyd Wright structure housing a museum of modern art opened on Museum Mile in New York (1959)
- Vietnam War: tens of thousands marched in Washington, DC, protesting America's involvement in the war (1967)
- 1975 World Series: Carlton Fisk hit a ball that bounced off a left field foul pole, giving him a home run and a Red Sox win over the Reds in 12 innings in the series' sixth game (1975)
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772
- Alfred Nobel 1833
- Sir Georg Solti 1912
- Dizzy Gillespie 1917
- Bob Rosburg 1926
- Whitey Ford (MLB) 1928
- Ursula LeGuin 1929
- Georgia Brown 1933
- Manfred Mann 1940
- Francis Fitzgerald 1940
- Steve Cropper (Booker T & the MGs, Blues Brothers) 1941
- Elvin Bishop 1942
- Brian Picolo (NFL) 1943
- Ron Elliot (Beau Brummels) 1943
- Everett McGill 1945
- Lee Loughnane (Chicago) 1946
- Carrie Fisher 1956
- Julian Cope 1957
- Steve Lukather (Toto) 1957
- Che Colovita Lemon (Jimmie's Chicken Shack) 1970
- Jade Jagger 1971
- Jeremy Miller 1976
- Will Estes 1977
- Kim Kardashian 1980 - "Actress"
- Juliete Cabrera 1987