verdant \VUR-dnt\, adjective:
- Green with vegetation; covered with green growth.
- Lacking experience or sophistication; naive.
Verdant comes from French verdoyant, present participle of verdoyer, "to be verdant, to grow green," from Old French verdoier, verdeier, from verd, vert, "green," from Latin viridis, "green," from virere, "to be green."
- Not double dipping! When a chip (or other dippable food) is dipped, bitten, and then turned over so that the tainted, bitten, and saliva covered part isn't able to corrupt the dip.
Don: Hey man, no double dipping!
Mac: I'm not double dipping! I'm using strategic dipping!
- 1933 - The 20th Amendment to the Constitution was declared in effect. The amendment moved the start of presidential, vice-presidential and congressional terms from March to January.
- 1935 - Monopoly: the popular board game first went on sale
- 1959 - The U.S., for the first time, successfully test-fired a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile from Cape Canaveral.
- 1971 - NASA Astronaut Alan B. Shepard used a six-iron that he had brought inside his spacecraft (Apollo 14) and swung at three golf balls on the surface of the moon.
- 1990 - Billy Idol broke several bones in a serious motorcycle accident. As a result he could not appear in Oliver Stone's "The Doors" in a major role.
- 1998 - Washington National Airport was renamed for U.S. President Ronald Reagan with the signing of a bill by U.S. President Clinton.
- 1998 - Falco died in a traffic accident in the Dominican Republic.
- Rip Torn 1931
- Natalie Cole 1950
- Jon Walmsley 1956
- Kathy Najimy 1957
- Robert Townsend 1957
- Barry Miller 1958