imbroglio \im-BROHL-yoh\, noun:
1. A complicated and embarrassing state of things.2. A confused or complicated disagreement or misunderstanding.3. An intricate, complicated plot, as of a drama or work of fiction.4. A confused mass; a tangle.
Imbroglio derives from Italian, from Old Italian imbrogliare, "to tangle, to confuse," from in-, "in" + brogliare, "to mix, to stir." It is related to embroil, "to entangle in conflict or argument."
If you will
1. An phrase overused by those trying to sound sophisticated and/or intelligent.2. A phrase used frequently by Tobias Bluth from Arrested Development.
Tobias: You could say I'm, if you will, 'buy curious'
Man: I can "sprinkle the pudding" if you will.
- gerrymandering: Massachusetts governor Elbridge Gerry signed a redistricting law that favored his party, the Democratic-Republicans (1812)
- Bernadette Soubirous: as a teenager, St. Bernadette saw her first vision of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes (1858)
- Lateran Treaty: pact between Italy and the Vatican was signed, in which Roman Catholicism was declared the state religion of Italy and Italy recognized Vatican City as independent and sovereign (1929)
- Yalta Agreement: plan signed by FDR, Winston Churchill and Josef Stalin, dealing with attacks on Germany and the establishment of the UN (1945)
- Natan Sharansky: Soviet dissident was released after 10 years in prison (1986)
- Nelson Mandela: political prisoner was freed after 27 years in detention; he went on to dismantle apartheid and become South Africa's first black president (1990)
- Lydia Child 1802
- Thomas Alva Edison 1847 - Inventor and businessman. His inventions included the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a long-lasting, practical electric light bulb
- John Mills (The Mills Brothers) 1889
- Joseph Mankiewicz 1909
- Matt Dennis 1914
- Sidney Sheldon 1917
- Eva Gabor 1921 - Actress
- Lloyd Bentsen 1921
- Kim Stanley 1925
- Conrad Janis 1928 - Actor ("Mork and Mindy")
- Larry Merchant 1931
- Mary Quant 1934
- Tina Louise 1934 - Actress ("Gilligan's Island")
- Gerry Goffin 1935 - Songwriter
- Sergio Mendes 1935 - Band leader
- Burt Reynolds 1936 - Actor ("Smokey and the Bandit")
- Phillip Anglim 1953
- Catherin Hickland 1956
- Carey Lowell 1961 - Actress ("Law and Order")
- Sheryl Crow 1962 - Singer, musician
- D'Angelo 1974
- Brice Beckham 1976
- Michael Kenji "Mike" Shinoda 1977 - Musician (Linkin Park)
- Brandy (Norwood) 1979 - Singer
- Matthew Lawrence 1980 - Actor