lexicography \lek-suh-KAH-gruh-fee\, noun:
1. The writing or compiling of dictionaries; the editing or making of dictionaries.2. The principles and practices applied to writing dictionaries.
Lexicography is derived from the Greek lexicon (biblion), a word- or phrase-book (from lexis, a phrase, a word) + graphein, to write. A lexicographer (thought to be formed on the pattern of geographer) is a compiler or writer of a dictionary -- as defined by Samuel Johnson in his own Dictionary of the English Language, "a writer of dictionaries, a harmless drudge."
- The neighborhood in which you work, if different from the neighborhood in which you live.
Nah, I don't wanna hang out in SoHo tonight. I try to avoid my laborhood on weekends.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: the boxer later known as Muhammad Ali won the heavyweight title from Sonny Liston at age 22; he lost it and rewon it twice more (1964)
- Pierre Auguste Renoir 1841 - Impressionist artist
- Adelle Davis 1904
- Zeppo Marx 1909 - Comedian (Marx Brothers)
- Millicent Fenwick 1910 - Human rights activists
- Jim Backus 1913 - Actor (voice of Mr. Magoo, "Gilligan's Island", "Rebel Without a Cause")
- Ralph Baldwin 1916 - Horse trainer
- 'Texas Rose' Bascom 1922 - Trick roper
- (Elsie) Lisa Kirk 1925 - Singer, actress ("The Producers")
- Bert Remsen 1925 - Actor ("Dick Tracy")
- Ralph Stanley 1927 - Musician (Stanley Brothers)
- René Thomas 1927 - Musician, jazz guitarist
- Ralph Stanley 1927
- Larry Gelbart 1928 - Producer, writer
- Tommy Newsom 1929 - Musician, arranger, composer, back-up conductor (NBC's Tonight Show band)
- John Astin 1930
- Faron Young 1932 - singer, actor, founder of Music City News magazine
- Linda Cristal (Marta Victoria Moya Burges) 1934 - Actress
- Tony Lema 1934 - Golfer
- Sally Jessy Raphael (Sally Lowenthal) 1935 - TV talk show host
- Diane Baker 1938
- Denny Lemaster 1939 - Baseball player
- Ron Santo 1940 - Baseball player
- Carl Eller 1942 - Football player
- Karen Grassle 1944 - Actress ("Little House on the Prairie")
- Chelsea Handler 1975 - Comedian