kismet \KIZ-met; -mit\, noun:
- Destiny; fate.
Kismet comes (via Turkish) from Arabic qismah, "portion, lot."
- When you are looking forward to something constantly, to the point of obsession, causing the actual event to seem short and dull in comparison.
Oh, he's been counting down the days since July, and has came down with a bad case of Christmas Syndrome.
- bacteria: Robert Koch announced his discovery of the bacillus that causes tuberculosis (1882)
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: play by Tennessee Williams opened on Broadway (1955)
- Dark Side of the Moon: Pink Floyd released one of the best-selling albums of all time (1973)
- Exxon Valdez oil spill: tanker ran aground in Prince William Sound, causing the worst maritime environmental disaster in history (1989)
- Yugoslavia: NATO began air strikes in response to ethnic cleansing by Serbs of Albanians in Kosovo (1999)
- William Morris 1834 - British craftsman, designer, writer, typographer
- Andrew Mellon 1855 - American banker, industrialist, philanthropist, U.S. Secretary of the Treasure (1921-1932)
- Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle 1887 - Actor, comedian, director, screenwriter