aver \uh-VUR\, transitive verb:
1. To affirm with confidence; to declare in a positive manner, as in confidence of asserting the truth.2. (Law) To assert, claim, or declare as a fact.
Aver is from Old French-Medieval French averer, from Medieval Latin adverare, to confirm as authentic, from Latin ad-, ad- + Medieval Latin verare, from Latin verus, true. Other words deriving from verus are very, which sometimes has the sense of "true"; verify, to prove the truth of; and verdict, a decision or judgment, literally a "true-saying" (verus + dictum, saying).
Do you like hobbies?
- Something you say during an awkward pause in conversation in attempt to start conversation. However this will just make the conversation more awkward and draw attention to the pause.
Person 1:"Yeah, that was by far the best Family Guy episode ever."
Person 2:"Yeah for sure."
Person1:"So....do you like hobbies?"
- Czar Alexander II: was assassinated in St. Petersburg (Gregorian date) (1881)
- Pluto: the discovery of the dwarf planet was announced by Clyde W. Tombaugh (1930)
- Kitty Genovese: was murdered in Queens, New York, while neighbors ignored her screams; this prompted investigation into the bystander effect (1964)
- Phoenix lights: unusual lights of various sorts were seen over Arizona, Nevada and Sonora; among the eyewitnesses was Arizona Governor Fife Symington (1997)
- Joseph Priestley 1733
- Charles Earl Grey 1764
- Lorenzo Delmonico 1813
- Percival Lowell 1855
- Helen Sinclair Glatz 1908
- Sammy Kaye 1910
- L. Ron Hubbard 1911 sci-fi writer who invented Scientology
- William Casey 1913
- Bobby Haggart 1914
- Ina Ray Hutton 1916
- Tessie O'Shea 1918
- Roy Haynes 1926 - Jazz drummer
- Jan Howard 1930 - Country singer
- Peter Breck 1930
- Liz Anderson 1930
- Rosalind Elias 1931 - Opera singer
- Mike Stoller 1933 - Songwriter
- Dick Katz 1934
- Neil Sedaka 1939 - Singer, songwriter
- Robin Duke 1944 - Comedian
- Donald York 1949 - Musician (Sha Na Na)
- William H. Macy 1950 - Actor
- Fred Berry 1951
- Deborah Raffin 1953
- Dana Delany 1956 - Actress ("China Beach")
- Glenne Headly 1957
- Adam Clayton 1960 - Musician (U2)
- Christopher Collet 1968 - Actor
- Annabeth Gish 1971 - Actress: X-Files
- Common 1972 - Rapper
- Trent Dilfer 1972 - Football player
- Khujo 1972 - Rapper (Goodie Mob)
- Glenn Lewis 1975 - Singer
- Danny Masterson 1976 - Actor ("That 70's Show")
- Johan Santana 1979 - Baseball player
- Emile Hirsch 1985 - Actor
- Nicole Albino 1986 Singer (Nina Sky)