afflatus \uh-FLAY-tuhs\, noun:
- A divine imparting of knowledge; inspiration.
Afflatus is from Latin afflatus, past participle of afflare, "to blow at or breathe on," from ad-, "at" + flare, "to puff, to blow." Other words with the same root include deflate (de-, "out of" + flare); inflate (in-, "into" + flare); soufflé, the "puffed up" dish (from French souffler, "to puff," from Latin sufflare, "to blow from below," hence "to blow up, to puff up," from sub-, "below" + flare); and flatulent.
hipster head bob
- A small nod of the head, done repetitively in synchronization with music. Denotes approval of music by the listener. Performed at concerts by concert-goers, or while listening to music by the listener.
- Substituted for dancing by hipsters, who are too cool to dance.
Andy: Dude, how was the DFA1979 show?
Brad: Great, except for all the douches doing the hipster head bob. I just wanted to get down!
- Andrew Jackson: US president was censured by the Senate for his actions in the Bank War; the censure was later expunged from the record (1834)
- Turkey: key cities changed names: Constantinople became Istanbul and Angora was tweaked to Ankara (1930)
- Virginia Woolf: distinguished novelist, critic and essayist (A Room Of One's Own) committed suicide by drowning; she had been suffering from depression and bouts of mental illness for many years (1941)
- Three Mile Island: the most serious nuclear accident in US history took place at a power station in Pennsylvania (1979)
- Paul Whiteman 1890
- August Busch 1899