tenterhooks \TEN-ter-hooks\, noun:
- On tenterhooks, in a state of uneasy suspense or painful anxiety.
- One of the hooks or bent nails that hold cloth stretched on a tenter.
Tenterhooks usually occurs in the idiomatic phrase "on tenterhooks," from the type of hook that that hold cloth stretched on a tenter.
- Having a conversation while not intoxicated. Generally used to postpone the remainder of a conversation until both parties are sober.
- Putting off a conversation until everyone involved is capable of making good decisions.
Hey Maria, let's soberchat later, k? I don't want to profess my love for anyone tonight.
- Palm Sunday: In the accounts of the four canonical Gospels, Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem takes place about a week before his Resurrection.
- War of Jenkin's Ear: Robert Jenkins' ear was cut off, which led to a war between Spain and England (1731)
- public library: America's first tax-supported public library was founded in Peterborough, New Hampshire (1833)
- US Civil War: Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox, ending the war (1865)
- Marian Anderson: gave a concert at the Lincoln Memorial; the DAR had canceled her appearance at Constitution Hall because she was black (1939)
- Saddam Hussein: statue of Iraqi dictator was toppled in Baghdad, signifying the end of the Baath regime (2003)
- Prince Charles: married Camilla Parker-Bowles (2005)
- Charles Proteus Steinmetz 1865
- Frank King 1883 - Cartoonist, creator of "Gasoline Alley" cartoon strip
- Mance Lipscomb 1895
- Ward Bond 1903 - Actor ("It’s a Wonderful Life", "The Maltese Falcon")
- Antel Dorati 1906 - Symphony orchestra conductor
- Julian Dash 1916 - Jazz musician
- John Presper Eckert 1919
- Art Van Damme 1920 - Musician (Art Van Damme Quintet)
- Hugh Hefner 1926 - Publisher, greatest man who ever lived
- Tom Lehrer 1928 - Songwriter
- Paul Arizin 1928 - Basketball player
- Jim Fowler 1932 - Naturalist
- Carl Perkins (Carl Lee Perkings) 1932 - Singer
- Jean-Paul Belmondo 1933 - Actor ("Casino Royale")
- Avery Schreiber 1935 - Comedian (Burns & Schreiber)
- Michael Learned 1939 - Actress ("The Waltons", "All My Sons")
- Jim Roberts 1940 - Hockey player
- Brandon de Wilde 1942 - Actor ("Shane")
- Margo Smith 1942 - Country singer
- Terry Knight 1943 - Singer (Terry Knight and the Pack , Grand Funk Railroad)
- Alden Roche 1945 - Football player
- Nate Colbert 1946 - Baseball player
- Les Gray 1946 - Singer (Mud)
- Michel Parizeau 1948 - Hockey player
- Hal Ketchum 1953 - Country singer, actor
- Dennis Quaid 1954 - Actor ("Wyatt Earp", "The Right Stuff"), brother of Randy Quaid
- Jimmy Tingle 1955 - Comedian
- Severiano (Seve) Ballesteros 1957 - Golfer
- Dave Innis 1959 - Country musician (Restless Heart)
- Mark Kelly 1961 - Musician (Marillion)
- Lisa Guerrero 1964 - Sports reporter ("Monday Night Football")
- Paulina Porizkova 1965 - Model, actress
- Joe Peters 1965 - Musician (Grant Lee Buffalo)
- Cynthia Nixon 1966 - Actress ("The Manhattan Project")
- Kevin Martin 1969 - Musician (Candlebox)
- Keshia Knight Pulliam 1979 - Actress ("The Cosby Show")
- Ryan Northcott 1980 - Actor