Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Revew Tuesday: I'm Fine...And Other Lies by Whitney Cummings

I'm Fine
...And Other Lies
by Whitney Cummings
Comedian Whitney Cummings discusses her life and why nothing is her fault. 
I have been a big fan of the comedic stylings of Whitney Cummings for years. I watched 2 Broke Girls right from the first episode. The same with her self-titled NBC sit-com. Mrs. Bax0jayz and I watched her specials together. So her book should be brilliant as well, shouldn't it?

Nope. It's 288 pages of Whitney blaming everyone else in the world for her bad decisions instead of looking at herself and lack of insight into any situation. She should've just called the book, "I AM CODEPENDENT" since that's her go-to excuse for most problems, but of course, being codependent isn't even her fault. Blame it on men, patriarchy, non-progressives, etc. Litter each paragraph with catch phrases like: 
  • Look
  • What I mean
  • Literally
and many more that will cause you to roll your eyes as they appear so frequently that it gets annoying. She throws in some SAT words used incorrectly as well and medical jargon that's also wrong and the tedious adventure took way too long to read. I had to put down and pick up the book several times to endure it. 

True, I am only a blogger and Whitney is published by a major book company, but at least I don't charge people money to read my frantic scratchings and the blame game. 

My wife knew I was previously a big fan of Whitney Cummings and saw how disappointed I was as I continued reading the book. She even asked to please refrain from reading books of any of my other heroes going forward. It's happened before that I have read books by people I hold in high esteem only to be let down by their nonchalant self-destructive habits and passing the blame onto others. I think I would've ended up respecting Whitney much more if she at least owned up to her some of her mistakes but she always managed to shift the blame elsewhere or she simply couldn't grasp the facts of what was going on around her. 

I wish Whitney well in life and I hope she overcomes her various challenges. She seems like a good soul. She rescues pitbulls, how can she be bad? But I hope she learns to take some personal responsibility in life. That's when you make great strides in your life. 

I call this book mediocre bordering on annoying.

You can get it in various formats on AMAZON

0 comments: