Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Review Tuesday: THE WALKING DEAD - Season 8


THE WALKING DEAD
Season 8
Rival communities clash while trying not to get devoured by zombies.
I got onto the THE WALKING DEAD bandwagon after season three and have been watching avidly ever since, mostly due to my loyalty to the show coupled with my enjoyment of the comic books. Watching the illustrations come to life on the small screen is a load of fun and now that we are up to the ALL OUT WAR story-arc, I was curious how close to the original material the show would fall.

Much to the chagrin of TWD fans, it seemed to move along slow. It was like that with the books as well. I recall thinking at times, I just read an entire comic book and nothing happened, which is much like the way it played out on television.  

Having read the source material I had an idea how the season should end, but wasn't sure if they would go through with it. They did have major departures like Carl getting killed off on the show so anything was possible. 

In general, I liked this season as much as others. The seemed to spend a lot of time with plot devices like the garbage people and the tribe of women, but they seemed to want to establish even more conflict than the books did. I reckon the problem is the choice of music. They seem to keep playing these tunes that sound like soap opera music to possibly create more of an emotional response, but truly makes the show's pace feel even slower. I think they need to rethink the sound track to try to keep what audience they have left, as ratings keep dropping. 

Keeping the source material in mind, if fans have complained about previous seasons being boring, they will probably hate the next season. I recall reading the books and thinking that NOTHING went on for a long time before the next catastrophe struck. So expect a bunch of new cast members playing more important roles next season with plenty of development, however, with very little action. It's going to be more like a zombie soap opera.  

On the other hand, FEAR THE WALKING DEAD started back up directly after the TWD season finale. They crossed it over and introduced new characters who are actually likable! I'm actually looking forward to see where this goes. 

0 comments: