Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Review Tuesday: LOVECRAFT COUNTRY Season One

 
Season 1 | Lovecraft Country Wiki | Fandom
 
LOVECRAFT COUNTRY 
Season One
Atticus discovers he is the key to an ancient bloodline of wizardry. The problem is that he is a black man.
When I had heard that HBO was working on a series that plays with HP Lovecraft's racism, I figured I should give it a shot. Lovecraft had many racist devices across his library, and no one was left out, so I was curious how they would deal with it. Since the ads for the show always contain tentacles, I thought, for sure that they would try to tie in the Cthulhu Mythos and show know what other horrors. 

I started watching the show before I started reading the book, so I went into this with no expectations. It started off with a blast, and I felt myself being drawn in. However, as the series continued, the plot became thicker and more burdened. It felt like they were trying too hard to keep dumping more stuff, mostly racism, into the mix, until it just started getting boring.Things were happening and it didn't even make sense. What's worse, if you read the book, it contained the story so nicely and the pieces fit together so well, it was a perfect piece of HPL fan-fiction. This series was more like a the creators trying to be titillating, while ramming racism down your throat with the mildest sprinkling of scary stuff. Maybe the departures from the source material was necessary to fill out a ten episode season, but it yielded a dull horror series that hardly had any scares. 

I am glad it's over and look forward to avoiding season two. After the ridiculously stupid ending, I have no idea where this can possibly head. The acting and crew were fine, the story was just ill-conceived. Avoid this disappointment. 

See my book review HERE
See it on AMAZON
More on IMDB

Lovecraft Country fans react to “Full Circle” Season 1 finale at HBO

0 comments: