Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Review Tuesday: Nokia Lumia 1020


One of the final dying gasps from Microsoft into the smart phone battleground was the Nokia Lumia 1020.

From
Gadgets 360:
Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone was launched in July 2013. The phone comes with a 4.50-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 768 pixels by 1280 pixels at a PPI of 334 pixels per inch. Nokia Lumia 1020 price in India starts from Rs. 25,990.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is powered by 1.5GHz dual-core processor and it comes with 2GB of RAM. The phone packs 32GB of internal storage that cannot be expanded. As far as the cameras are concerned, the Nokia Lumia 1020 packs a 41-megapixel primary camera on the rear and a 1.2-megapixel front shooter for selfies.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 runs Windows Phone 8 and is powered by a 2000mAh non removable battery. It measures 130.40 x 71.40 x 10.40 (height x width x thickness) and weighs 158.00 grams.

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is a single SIM (GSM) smartphone that accepts a Micro-SIM. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, FM, 3G and 4G. Sensors on the phone include Compass/ Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor and Gyroscope.
About a year ago I decided I outgrew my Nokia Lumia 635. While it worked great, and had amazing battery life (what smart phone only needs a charge twice weekly???) the 8 gig hdd couldn't do a whole lot. I chose to go with the Nokia Lumia 1020. It was similar in shape and size as my old phone, but everything was beefed up. I got one that was unlocked and set it up on my own and started having fun with it. 

The Windows 8 OS was very stable and worked fine. Cortana worked faster and smarter than Siri on my wife's phone. The ability to draw in data from all sources such as outlook, google, twitter and Facebook was extremely powerful and made your contacts list thorough. The 41 MP camera took brilliant photos that rivaled those of my DSLR. The only negative was the apps. There were plenty for me as long as I had an operational GPS app. 

Then last month WAZE dropped dead on the phone. Much to my chagrin, nothing I did would get the app to start up ever again. Since Google owns Waze, they gave up on supporting the platform years ago. MS also gave up supporting the platform about a year ago, as well, so I didn't see any way to remedy the situation. So with just under a year of use I had to look for an Android replacement. A shame since the Lumia 1020 was a surprisingly stable and impressive device. I will still drag it around with me since the wifi is crazy fast on it and with a 41MP camera with Zeiss lens I can still pt it to work for years to come!

You can still find them on eBay and Amazon, but they are usually yellow. I wonder if that hurt sales too?        

0 comments: