Friday, August 08, 2008

In the cinema: The X-Files: I Want To Believe

There are movies that don't do well just because of expectations. The X-Files: I Want To Believe is one of those movies. I'll get to that later.

The wife and I went to see this movie Wednesday night. I wanted to get in to see it before it was gone. Since it hasn't been tearing up the box office, I didn't expect it to make it to this weekend.

Are you ready for this? IT WAS A GOOD MOVIE. The old Scully and Mulder magic was back. Doctor Scully and the recluse Mulder are asked back to assist the FBI with a missing agent. What happened from there was a typical X-Files episode. It was AWESOME! It was 92 minutes from the good old days. Mulder's leaps. Scully's skepticism. Plus the new agents played by Amanda Peet and Alvin Joiner (aka Xzibit) were perfect for their roles.

I have to be honest, I was worried at first. Hearing that Peet and Xzibit were in this movie was very disconcerting news for me. Then the reviews. All mediocre to bad. Bullshit reviews! They all said the same things: no aliens, not enough paranormal. Well, any X-Files fan knows that the little green men storyline was only a portion of what the show was about. There were many very strange topics touched by the show over it's nine seasons. This was just as odd as any of them. But being on the silver screen it was more violent and graphic which was fine. Better than fine. It was a lot of fun and held my interest.

By the time you read this I'm pretty certain The X-Files will be out of theaters due to a short life caused by reviews based on EXPECTATIONS and not what was actually on the screen. My wife who never liked the X-Files liked this movie. I'm a fan from the start, and I liked it. To me, that's the kind of review people SHOULD pay attention to.

Check it out while you can, or definitely get it on DVD.

More here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443701/

0 comments: