Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Review Tuesday: DUNE: Part Two (2024)

 
 
DUNE
Part Two
(2024)
Paul Atreides fulfills an ancient prophecy to reclaim his family honor and the planet DUNE.
Here we are again. My movie buddy asked if I happened to be interested in seeing DUNE 2 with her and I couldn't say no. I realized that I have been meaning to see this second and final part of the screen adaptation of the classic science fiction novel by Frank Herbert: DUNE. 
 
Before I say anything at all I feel that it's necessary to point out that the original novel was nearly nine hundred pages. With that in mind you should understand that committing a book like this to two films is a huge endeavour.
  
After the events of the first movie Paul was looking to restore the family name and reclaim the family legacy. He used the gifts of his lineage to untie the Fremen under his lead to obtain his goals. 

The movie appears HUGE. You feel the grand scale of the planet Arrakis and the entire galaxy. They DO happen to get a great deal of the remainder of the book. Over the course of over five hours and two movies they managed to get quite a lot in there. However, I did find myself saying a bunch of: they missed this or that, it didn't happen like that, they left all that out. I think the biggest point that wasn't presented was passage of time. The movie kinda gave the feel that it was a shorter period of time from the fall of the Atreides family until the return of Paul. 

Despite my few gripes over glaring omissions, I very much enjoyed this film. Let's be realistic. The source material is voluminous. It would be impossible to try to get everything into a couple films. In fact, I doubt a mini-series would be able to do it justice. They wouldn't have the budget. For n ow, I am very happy with the way this movie turned out and feels more faithful to the source material than the 80s adaptation. This movie is worth the time investment, just be sure to see the first one ahead of time.

0 comments: