Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review Tuesday: The Salesmen

Here's another Indy Act that came across my desk. From Portland, OR comes THE SALESMEN!

I've read their press release several times, especially the comparisons with "The Cars, The Violent Femmes on Wall Street, The Cars mixed with Google" and influences being "Billy May, Rockefeller, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Elvis Costello." I think they mean Billy MayS, because of one the members DOES kinda look like the late Ad-Man. Beyond that I have to say that I see only trace elements of similarites. Since I can't find specific band-member details, I am guessing there are two singers, Johnny Sales (the dude who looks like Billy Mays) and Ms. Friday. Johnny's vocals are unusual but good, nay, FUN! And Ms. Friday's vocals are the perfect compliment when they sing together. On her own, Ms. Friday has a voice I would describe as delicious. Ezra Closer appears to do background vocals and guitars. While he does a perfect "deer-in-headlights" impression in their one video, his talents are also apparent. Some great guitar licks!  

I find The Salesmen to be a fun band that are well worth the time to listen to them. The songs are playful and catchy. The musicians are talented, production is good, and levels are right. The vocals are the perfect icing on the cake. A well-balanced record! You can check them out here:
EDIT: Here is the band's bio, for all our clarification:
The Salesmen were born out of the economic depression of 2009. Over that year Johnny Sales and Ezra Closer worked diligently from their cubicles/home offices to produce Cubicle Rock. All of the songs were written by Johnny and Ezra passing files on the computer and then they would meet in Salem, OR at Wavelength studios to record; often the first time playing through was recorded. The record was recorded in 8 days spread out over a 5 month period.
The Salesmen include Johnny Sales(Vox, guitar), Ezra Closer (lead guitar, bass, backing vox) and Miss Friday (Vox). We also have several associates that may become full partners as the project progresses. Drums were played by Jason Carter (Black Francis, Grand Duchy) and on 4 tracks Dan Stieg Jr. (Jatun, America Girls). We also enlisted Dizzy Reed (Guns n Roses) for our power ballad My Angel.
The Salesmen are currently working out their live "seminars" for the summer 2010. Their show will be a multi-media event.
Salesmen motto's
Work is Play with The Salesmen
It is time to think INSIDE the box with Cubicle Rock
You can read our bio and see our first video at our website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to see a mention of The Salesmen. I heard them on the radio the other day and went to look them up-couldn't find anything outside of their web page. Google alert brought up this blog yesterday. I was starting to think I was the only one who had ever heard of them. I'm not seeing anything on their web site about touring. Has anyone out there ever seen them live? Comment back, I'd love to know.

Jill

Bobby "the Blue" said...

They are an Oregon band. If they head over to New York, I would LOVE to see them.

As I get more info, I'll be posting it.

Thanks for stopping by and comenting!

Anonymous said...

Jill, thanks for the support and welcome you to the "sales team". We are working up our "seminar" shows this month and are starting to book for the summer. You will also see more humorous internet products as we build up to the live shows.

Bobby, thanks so much for the review. We are a new "start-up" and every bit of marketing material helps us to build our "customer" base. Make sure to say hi when we get to New York.

All the best and remember The Salesmen are always on your side!

johnny sales

Bobby "the Blue" said...

Awesome, Mr Sales! It's my honor to have you post on my site!

Looking forward to hearing many great thinks about The Salesmen in the future!