eudemonia \yoo-di-MOH-nee-uh\, noun:
1. Happiness; well-being.2. Aristotelianism. Happiness as the result of an active life governed by reason.
From Aristotle, eudemonia comes from the Greek word eudaímōn which meant "a good or benevolent spirit."
Glamorous camping. Satisfying your craving for the outdoors and your penchant for a good meal, nice glass of wine, and a comfortable bed.
No stinky sleeping bags on the hard ground and freeze dried food for me. If its not a Glamping trip, count me out.
From which of his favorite authors did Jimmy Buffett borrow the line “Be good and you will be lonesome” for his song “That’s What Living Is to Me”?
- Mark Twain, from his travel book Following the Equator (1897). Buffett uses the line in the chorus of his 1988 song, followed by “Be lonesome and you will be free.”
- Niagara Falls: ceased falling due to an ice jam upstream (1848)
- North America Act: the British parliament created the Dominion of Canada (1867)
- Royal Albert Hall: was opened by Queen Victoria, dedicated to her husband and consort, Prince Albert (1871)
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus: the Ringling Brothers joined P.T. Barnum and James A. Bailey to form "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1919)
- Ethel and Julius Rosenberg: US Communist couple were convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage about the atomic bomb on behalf of the Soviet Union (1951)
- Vietnam War: the last US soldiers left South Vietnam (1973)
- Ireland: became the first country to ban smoking in all public places (2004)
- John Tyler (U.S.) 1790
- Cy Young 1867
- Howard Lindsay 1888
- Phillip Ahn 1905
- Edward Biggs 1906
- Phil Foster 1914
- Eugene McCarthy 1916
- Sam Walton 1918 - Founder of Wal-Mart
- Pearl Mae Bailey 1918
- Eileen Heckart 1919
- John McLaughlin 1927 - TV host ("The McLaughlin Group")
- Judith Guest 1936 - Author
- Vangelis 1943 - Composer ("Chariots of Fire")
- Eric Idle 1943 - Comedian ("Monty Python")
- John Major 1943 - Former British prime minister
- Billy Vukovich 1944
- Walt "Clyde" Frazier 1945 - Basketball player
- Bobby Kimball 1947 - Singer (Toto)
- Michael Brecker 1949 - Musician (The Brecker Brothers)
- Bud Cort 1950
- Earl Campbell 1955 - Football player (Houston Oilers)
- Chris Lawford 1955 - Actor
- Terry Jacks 1956