plication \plahy-KEY-shuhn\, noun:
- The act or procedure of folding.
- The state or quality of being folded; a fold.
- Surgery. A. The folding in and suturing of tucks, so as to tighten weakened or stretched tissue. B. The folding of an organ, as a section of the intestine, and the attaching of it to another organ or tissue.
Plication is derived from the Medieval Latin stem plicātiō, relating to a 'fold' or 'pleat.'
Corporate Blue Balls
- What one gets after hours and hours of meetings discussing a decision and the decision is never made.
This is the 4th meeting we've had this week to discuss whether or not we should we should order more paper for the copier. Someone needs to make a decision - I've got Corporate Blue Balls!
What animal’s den is known as a holt or a couch?
- The otter’s. The holt is its main lair; the couch is a temporary resting place.
What hit Broadway musical included the song “We Need a Little Christmas”?
- Mame. The music and lyrics are by Jerry Herman. A film version of the 1966 musical was made in 1974.
- Boxing Day (Canada)
- Kwanzaa begins
- Winston Churchill: became the first British prime minister to address a joint session of US Congress, warning against the Axis powers (1941)
- The Glass Menagerie: Tennessee Williams' play opened in Chicago (1944)
- Time magazine: Man of the Year was "the computer" (1982)
- tsunami: huge wave triggered by an earthquake in the Indian Ocean killed more than 216,000 (2004)
- Thomas Gray 1716
- Juan Lovera 1778
- Mao Zedong (Tse-tung) 1893- Chinese statesman (Obama's idol)
- Richard Widmark 1914 - Actor
- Steve Allen 1921 - Comedian, actor, composer. First host of "The Tonight Show." Films: The Benny Goodman Story (1955), The Comic (1969), Casino (1995). Scores: A Man Called Dagger (1968) and the CBS musical Alice in Wonderland (1985).
- Alan King 1927 - Actor, comedian, producer: Films: Enemies, A Love Story and Casino
- Jane Lapotaire 1944
- John Walsh 1945 - TV host ("America's Most Wanted")
- Joyce Jillson 1946
- Carlton Fisk (MLB) 1947
- Ozzie Smith 1954
Tahnee Welch 1961
- Lars Ulrich 1963 - Musician (Metallica)
- J 1967
- Audrey Wiggins 1967 - Country musician
- Peter Klett 1969 - (Candlebox)
- Jared Leto 1971 - Actor (American Psycho), musician 30 Seconds to Mars