Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Review Tuesday: This Is 40 (2012)

Mrs. Bax0jayz wanted to see a Rated-R comedy so despite the fact that I hate Paul Rudd, we saw THIS IS 40.

A couple reaching the age of 40 has to deal with the curve-balls that life throws at them.

This Is 40, in a way, reminded me of Hall Pass: writers had a bunch of jokes on a subject and wrote a movie to tie them all together. Who cares how absurd it gets and that nothing gets resolved? Just toss in as many jokes as possible in just OVER TWO HOURS and the masses will feel like they got their money's worth. Well, I'm sorry, I still felt ripped off. If I wanted to see a bunch of jokes I'd see a comedian on stage. I paid for a movie with a cohesive thought and didn't get it AGAIN.

I quite enjoy harsh adult humor, but when you have a movie you must have your beginning, middle, and an ending that has some resolution. A comedy should never have loose ends, even if they have to sugar coat it. Add that to a bunch of characters that are highly unlikeable (Paul Rudd's Pete and Albert Brooks' Larry) that you don't care about their plight and it hurts the movie. The saving grace was Debbie (Leslie Mann) and her side of the story. THAT was ALL entertaining. Of course, Megan Fox is beyond hot in this movie.

Pass on this stinker. Wait for it to hit TV.

More on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758830/


The best scene in the movie

2 comments:

Heff said...

Thanks, and I too despise Paul Rudd.

Bobby "the Blue" said...

Great. I thought I was the only one!