HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
echolalia \ek-oh-LEY-lee-uh\, noun:
- The imitation by a baby of the vocal sounds produced by others, occurring as a natural phase of childhood development.
- Psychiatry. The uncontrollable and immediate repetition of words spoken by another person.
Echolalia originates from two Greek roots: echo derived from the name of the mythic nymph Echo fabled to have pined herself away to nothing but her name, combined with lalia meaning "talk or prattle."
Do you even lift?
- a condescending expression used on body building and fitness forums to question the legitimacy of someone's fitness expertise or weight lifting routine. Similar to other interrogatives like "Mad?" or "Jelly?", the phrase is mainly used to aggravate another user during arguments about physical fitness.
John: There's no way you'll make it on the football team.
Brian: Bro, do you even lift?
- New Year's Day
- Liberation Day (Cuba)
- Independence Day (Haiti)
- The Times of London: first edition was published under this title; it was previously known as The Daily Universal Register (1788)
- Ellis Island: opened (1892); over the next 60-plus years, some 20 million immigrants were processed through its stations
- New York City: was chartered with 4 boroughs — Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens; Staten Island followed a few weeks later (1898)
- Australia: Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Northern Territory became a single nation (1901)
- St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line: world's first scheduled airline had its maiden flight, connecting St. Petersburg and Tampa, Florida (1914)
- Czechoslovakia: peacefully split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia (1993)
- euro: coins and notes were launched, creating the Eurozone (2002)
- Bartolomé Murillo 1617
- Paul Revere 1735
- Betsy Ross (Elizabeth Griscom) 1752
- George Washington Carver 1860
- E.M. Forster 1879
- Edie Martin 1880
- Alessandro de Stefani 1891
- J. Edgar Hoover (U.S.) 1895
- Xavier Cugat 1900
- Bradford Ropes 1905
- Louis W. Parker 1906
- Barry Goldwater 1909
- Basil Deardon 1911
- Dana Andrews 1912
- Marvin Camras 1916
- Earl Wrightson 1916
- J.D. Salinger 1919
- Carole Landis 1919
- Milt Jackson 1923
- Bernard Kliban 1935
- Frank Langella 1940
- Don Novello 1943
- Daimi 1944
- Steve Ripley (The Tractors) 1950
- Grandmaster Flash 1958