Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Review Tuesday: Aeon Flux - The Complete Animated Collection

I don't watch much anime so when a friend let me borrow Aeon Flux - The Complete Animated Collection I couldn't resist. The show is legendary!

Aeon Flux was the brain child of Peter Chung. You may or may not know that his other famous property was, ready for this??? RUGRATS! How does a guy who created such tame a tame children's show go so far to the opposite end of the spectrum? Because he needed to. When your creativity is stuffed into a niche, you might need to find some release. For Chung, he started off with animated shorts on MTV's Liquid Television. Short skits that ended up with Aeon Flux getting killed each episode. To me, that was where things started going wrong, but I'll get to that later. 

This is a show about the adventures of a Monickan (spelling?) agent named Aeon Flux and how her destiny is forever entangled with Trevor Goodchild. The show is considered a sexy thriller, but I really didn't see it that way. Sure, Aeon runs around almost nude all the time, when she meets up with Trevor all sorts of body fluid exchange happens, and the many themes are really sexually charged, but somehow it came off as trying too hard and seemed UNsexy to me. Add the fact that there is NO CONTINUITY among the episodes and you are kinda left wondering, WTF did I just see?  

I don't consider this great by any stretch of the imagination, but if you were wondering, there's not a lot to watch. The story was inconsistent. The animation was frequently bad. But you can go for it. Try to borrow or rent it, you'll probably be angry wasted money on the DVD or BluRay. Somewhat entertaining. 

One thought before I let you go. While watching the show I could swear that Aeon bore a strong resemblance to Courtney Cox. I wonder if the fact that Aeon was Monickan (spelling?) and that Courtney was Monica of Friends was supposed to be an inside joke? Well, I waste the energy to think about it anymore.

On IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111873/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

0 comments: