07 * 07
hamlet \HAM-lit\, noun:
- a small village.
- British. a village without a church of its own, belonging to the parish of another village or town.
The term hamlet entered English in the 1300s, long before Shakespeare wrote about the Prince of Denmark, from the Old French ham meaning "villiage."
- This person has no skill at dancing, yet will try to auto-choreograph their unholy movements to the lyrics of the song being played, often with a delay as they can't remember the lyrics, and have to come up with something on the fly as they hear it.
"What the hell is John doing out on the floor?"
"Sounds like 'We Are The Champions' came on, and he's an interpretive dunce..."
What trademark-protected English cheese can only be produced in three adjacent counties?
- Blue Stilton. By law its production is limited to six dairies in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, and Leicestershire.
- California: was annexed to the US after a Mexican garrison surrendered; Hawaii was annexed 52 years later (1846, 1898)
- sliced bread: first commercially produced loaf was sold in Chillicothe, Missouri (1928)
- Hoover Dam: work began on the Colorado River project, then known as Boulder Dam (1930)
- Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini: was canonized as the first American saint (1946)
- London bombings: explosions on a bus and in three Underground stations killed 52 (2005)
- Gustav Mahler 1860 - Composer
- Marc Chagall 1887
- Hanns Eisler 1898
- George Cukor 1899
- Satchel Paige 1906
- Gian Carlo Menotti 1911
- Pinetop Perkins 1913 - Musician
- Ruth Ford 1915
- William Kunstler 1919
- Ezzard Charles 1921
- Pierre Cardin 1922
- Mary Ford 1924
- Charlie Louvin 1927
- Doc Severinsen 1927 - Bandleader
- Vincent Edwards 1928
- David McCullough 1933 - Author
- Ringo Starr 1940 - Musician (Beatles)
- Warren Entner 1944 - Musician (The Grass Roots)
- Joe Spano 1946 - Actor
- Linda Williams 1947 - Country singer
- Shelley Duvall 1949 - Actress ("The Shining")
- David Hodo 1950 - Musician (The Village People)
- Cherry Boone 1954
- Billy Campbell 1959 - Actor
- Mark White 1962 - Musician (Spin Doctors)
- Vonda Shepard 1963 - Singer, songwriter ("Ally McBeal")
- Ricky Kinchen 1966 - Musician (Mint Condition)
- Jim Gaffigan 1966 - Actor, comedian
- Jorja Fox 1968 - Actress ("C.S.I.")
- Cree Summer 1970
- Lisa Leslie 1972 - Basketball player
- Kirsten Vangsness 1972 - Actress ("Criminal Minds")
- Michelle Kwan 1980 - Figure skater