eyetooth \AHY-tooth\, noun:
- Dentistry. a canine tooth of the upper jaw: so named from its position under the eye.
- cut one's eyeteeth, a. to gain sophistication or experience; become worldly-wise. b. Also, cut one's eyeteeth on. to be initiated or gain one's first experience in (a career, hobby, skill, etc.).
- give one's eyeteeth, to give something one considers very precious, usually in exchange for an object or situation one desires: She would give her eyeteeth for that job.
Eyetooth came to English in the late 1500s as a blend of eye and tooth. This tooth received its name because of its position beneath or next to the eye.
- A hug given as an unavoidable social grace even though one or both people engaged in the hug hate each other and would not willingly hug if they were alone. Characterized by being a very fast and "going through the motions" hug with as little contact, duration, and eye contact as possible.
What was the name of the avant-garde international art movement Yoko Ono helped found in the early 1960s?
- Fluxus. Part Dada, part Bauhaus, part Zen, it was an innovative multimedia movement that advocated integrating life into art.
- English wars: War of the Roses ended (1485), Civil War began (1642)
- America's Cup: international yachting competition was first won, by the America, thus providing the trophy with its name (1851)
- Michael Collins: Irish national leader was shot dead in an ambush (1922)
- Texas Rangers: set an MLB record by wiping out the Baltimore Orioles 30-3 (2007)
- Samuel Langley 1834
- Archibald Willard 1836
- Melville Stone 1848
- Claude Debussy 1862
- Gene Herriman 1880
- Dorothy Parker 1893
- Leni Riefenstahl 1902
- Deng Xiaoping 1904
- John Lee Hooker 1917
- Ray Bradbury 1920
- Dr. Denton Cooley 1920
- Bob Flanigan 1926 - Musician (The Four Freshmen)
- Honor Blackman 1929
- Diana Sands 1934
- Sylvia Koscina 1934
- Norman Schwarzkopf 1934
- Morton Dean 1935
- Carl Yastrzemski 1939
- Valerie Harper 1940
- Bill Parcells 1941
- Joe Chambers 1942 - Musician (The Chambers)
- Tom Mitchell 1944
- Cindy Williams 1947
- Sam Neely 1950
- Paul Molitor 1956
- Holly Dunn 1957
- Vernon Reid 1958 - Musician (Living Colour)
- Collin Raye 1960
- Debbie Peterson 1960 - Musician (The Bangles)
- Roland Orzabal 1961 - Musician (Tears For Fears)
- Jay Aston 1961 - Musician (Gene Loves Jezabel)
- Mats Wilander 1964
- Layne Staley 1967 - Musician (Alice in Chains)
- Howie Dorough 1973 - Musician (Backstreet Boys)