Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Review Tuesday - Batman: The Killing Joke by Moore and Bolland

I hope to make this a month of Batman reviews. I can't think of a better way to transition from the flurry of Dredd that I've been posting that to go to a Batman book drawn by beloved Dredd artist Brian Bolland: 

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

A friend handed me this book (along with another that I will review next week) knowing that I've been rekindling my interest in comics. He stated, "These are beautiful. I know you might not want to read them now (also knowing I was never really a DC fan) but you'll be glad you did." I accepted the beat up graphic novels and said sure. I read this more out of guilt than out of any interest I ever had in Batman comic books. Wasn't Batman some goofy boy scout? His only super power was his bank account!

I was wrong. THE KILLING JOKE is many things but definitely NOT a goofy story. You have a bundled tale about the origins of the Clown Prince of Crime, The Joker, as well as his current crime wave unleashed on Gotham City. Alan Moore's story is compelling and keeps you turning the pages. The art by Brian Bolland beautifully captures the horrors of the tale. 

If you want to read a story that will send a shiver down your spine, this will do it. It may be a comic, but it's not kid stuff. Excellent. 

Kindle Format
Paperback

0 comments: