Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review Tuesday: GRAVITY (2013)

The TEN HOUR flight to Greece feels every minute as long as you think it might. I broke it up by playing games, reading, and watching movies. The first movie I'll discuss is...


GRAVITY
An astronaut / engineer learns what she is capable of after a horrific accident in orbit. 
I'm warning you now, this review will be full of spoilers. It's been out for over six months. If you still expect there to be secrets about this thing, then you might want to scroll on.

From the beginning I promised myself that I would NOT see this movie. The commercials seemed dull to me and that moron George Clooney is one of the stars.  However, sitting on a plane for hours and hours changes your perspective. I was willing to deal with George as long as I got some fresh and new science fiction viewing done. 

During a space walk Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (Clooney) are assailed with space debris destroying their craft and the crew. The rest of the movie is about survival. A very unsure Stone has to rely on her capabilities as Kowalski dies pretty quickly into the movie.

I found the story compelling. Bullock's acting was spectacular as she was able to go from calm to panic in a moment's notice when you would expect it to swing that way. Plus, she looks absolutely AMAZING. How can a woman who turns 50 this week still be so youthful and stunning? George Clooney dies right away, so that's another plus. Visually, the film is awe-inspiring. It's truly a roller coaster that straps you in and has your heart rate jumping with the action. 

Very clever and a great watch. I would recommend it to anyone. 


 

0 comments: