Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Review: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)


Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

Sometimes I actually listen to the music that I post press releases for. Sometimes it blows my mind. When I got THIS release for Dot Hacker I decided to give the free stream a try. I was pleasantly surprised.

The playlist contained six tracks, total time: 32.05
  1. Aim
  2. First In Forever
  3. Floating Up The Stairs 
  4. Elevator 
  5. Whatever You Want 
  6. Sermon Of Sorts 
My first thought was, they sound like GARBAGE but with a good drummer. It was suggested to me there is a lot of Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins feel to it, which I agree with. Let's say, Radiohead with Shirley Manson singing. 

I liked it. 

It sounded so good to me that I started telling my friends immediately to check out DOT HACKER. However, I then realized that I knew absolutely nothing about the band. Even the releases told very little about the members so after a little research I found this:
Dot Hacker is an American experimental rock band from California, formed in 2008. The band consists of Josh Klinghoffer (vocals, guitar, keyboards), Clint Walsh (guitar, keyboards, backing vocals), Jonathan Hischke (bass) and Eric Gardner (drums).

Klinghoffer, Walsh and Gardner were all previously members of the touring incarnation of Gnarls Barkley, and were subsequently joined by Hella bassist Jonathan Hischke to create Dot Hacker. Prior to Klinghoffer joining the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the band recorded its debut album, Inhibition, which was released on May 1, 2012.
From wikipedia

My mind was blown. Klinghoffer might have one of the most beautiful voices I've heard in a long time on a dude. Couple that with Walsh, and they sing perfectly in tune with each other and the music. Additionally, they are all excellent musicians, so the experimental vibe really works well for them. 

The record is well written, yet not over produced. It's perfect without being too polished. 

I found this record exceptionally good. It's refreshingly unique in an age of mass produced music acts. Thoroughly enjoyable.  

You can listen to the stream here:
https://soundcloud.com/orgmusic-1/sets/dot-hacker-hows-your-process-work/s-11zYr 

Purchase How's Your Process? (Work) on iTunes here:  

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hows-your-process-work/id890732239

Purchase physical copies of How's Your Process? (Work) here: 

http://orgmusic.merchnow.com/catalogs/dot-hacker

And on AMAZON

Official Sites

0 comments: