Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Review Tuesday: HEAVEN & EARTH by YES

One of my oldest and most profound memories is of sitting in the back of my father's 1966 Ford and listening to the Roundabout by YES. I wasn't able to connect that memory again until my teens when I took up the drums. My brother's guitar teacher suggested YES for the young musicians, as they were a talented band. I have considered YES to be one of my favorite bands ever since. I've seen them in concert numerous times. I still get excited to see them put out new music. 


YES
HEAVEN & EARTH

Over the years the members of YES have changed many times. One major change that set reverberations through-out all of YES fandom was when singer Jon Anderson suffered a lung collapse. To many, Jon was the adhesive that kept YES a viable concern. The other members didn't agree. They found a singer of a tribute band who could fill the role, toured with him and put out the album FLY FROM HERE which was quite good. This proved to the nay-sayers that the band could carry on with another singer. Oddly enough, even though Jon Anderson had fully recovered from his health issues, was not invited back into the band, not even when Benoit David, himself, had to leave YES for health reasons. So what did YES do? They got another new singer. 

On the vox for YES is Jon Davidson. His presence on stage, his voice, even his name, reminds the fan very much of Jon Anderson. In concert Davidson can hit every note perfectly, and has no reservations regarding what material to play. 

After the YES / ASIA tour, Geoff Downes rejoined YES on keys, replacing Oliver Wakeman. In a way it was like a DRAMA reunion. Downes, Howe, Squire, White and NOT Anderson. Even Trevor Horn returned for FLY FROM HERE. 

Now, it's 2014. The team gelled and got to work writing new music. I didn't know what to expect, and I always believe have no expectations and you won't be let down.

My first surprise was that there were only eight tracks but nearly an hour of music.

The tracklist:

1. Believe Again 8:02
2. The Game 6:51
3. Step Beyond 5:34
4. To Ascend 4:43
5. In a World of Our Own 5:20
6. Light of the Ages 7:41
7. It Was All We Knew 4:13
8. Subway Walls 9:03
The next surprise was the wide variety of musical styles. It starts off like a track off TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, but then goes all over the place into experimental rock territory. I've listened to this album about ten times since it came out a week ago. I liked it from the first taste, and enjoy it even more with each pass. 

I am pleased that the infusion of new blood into YES was therapeutic, it brought some nostalgic flavor along with some bold new directions.

I have a feeling that many die-hard fans will have problems with this record. Jon Anderson isn't on it. They can never write Son of Close to The Edge. Times move on and so do musical tastes. People grow. Times change. Embrace the change and have fun with it. I hope to see YES putting out more inspired music like this for years to come.

Get your copy on AMAZON.

0 comments: