Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Review Tuesday: BEYOND REACH by Karin Slaughter

I was looking for novels for a friend at a flea market and grabbed this one.




BEYOND REACH
by Karin Slaughter
Lena Adams, a Grant County, GA, detective, is forced to face her own inner demons when her past forces her to come home in the middle of a massive meth conspiracy. During the process, she drags her boss and his wife into the mess.
I have to say that I kinda screwed up on this one. This is the sixth and final book in the Grant County series. From the author's website:
Set in the fictional town of Heartsdale, Georgia, (in the fictional Grant County) the narrative takes place from the perspective of three main characters: Sara Linton, the town's pediatrician and part-time coroner; her ex-husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, who is chief of police; and his subordinate, detective Lena Adams. The series includes Blindsighted, Kisscut, A Faint Cold Fear, Indelible, Faithless and Beyond Reach (also called Skin Privilege)
I hate starting a story anywhere but from the beginning, and starting this one from the end bugged me the second I figured it out. The book is nearly 600 pages. It took me a year of picking it up and putting it down to get through it. Since it was book six, I kinda knew that I was missing a something. That's my fault, not the author's, as she did a good job of developing the characters. However, so many of the characters seemed so worthless that I couldn't care less what happened to them, therein causing me to keep putting this book down in favor of something else. If I had read the previous parts, I would've been more invested in the characters and would've liked it from the beginning, likely.

But I didn't. It wasn't until about page 250 that it drew me in and had me up late at night turning the pages. Then the pace really picked up and thing started getting warm. The last hundred pages were burning hot and the endings were explosive. 

I wish I knew about the whole series from the beginning, because Slaughter crafts a good tale. If I got in from the beginning I have no doubt that this book would flown. But now that I read this final installment in the Grant County series, and already know the explosive ending, I find it pointless to go back. I ruined it for myself. It was still a good book.

0 comments: