Friday, June 26, 2015

Rock out when your friends become successful!

Years ago I was listening to the local "modern rock" station when they played the new song from Morrissey, "We hate it when our friends become successful." The huge title alone made me guffaw, but listening to the song only reinforced the absurdity of it all. It's a song up happy and uplifting music coupled to extremely angry and spiteful lyrics. I loved the song so much that I raced to the local record store and bought the single on CD. Back then I didn't even have a CD player! Below are the lyrics and a link to a vid so you too can see how jealousy rears it's ugly head.
We hate it when our friends become successful,
We hate it when our friends become successful.
Oh, look at those clothes,
Now look at that face it's so old,
And such a video,
Well, it's really laughable,
Ah hahahaha etc.
We hate it when our friends become successful,
And if they're northern
That makes it even worse and
If we can destroy them
You bet your life we will destroy them.
If we can hurt them, well,
We may well.
It's really laughable,
Ah hahahaha etc.
You see, it should have been me.
It could have been me.
Everybody knows, everybody says so.
They say, "Oh, you have loads of songs,
So many songs,
More songs than they can stand --
Verse, chorus, middle eighth break"
Just listen,
"La la la etc."

0 comments: