Friday, July 31, 2015

Interview Friday: TO THE PAIN


Earlier this week I reviewed the new record from TO THE PAIN called 7. Find it HERE. Today I am sharing the interview I had with the lead guitarist, Steve Shaver.

Can you give my readers a brief introduction to the band, for those who are unfamiliar with you. How did you form?
  • I am Steve Shaver, Lead Guitars, from the band To The Pain. We are an all original metal band that started in 2012, and have been gigging, recording ever since. Singer Johnny Intagliata and I were in a band in the 80s, and wrote the song Silent Horror from our first album back then. The original concept of the band was just to be a recording project...but we felt like we had enough good songs, and decided to find a band to start playing these songs live. Jimmy Klimatas is on Drums, Craig Piano on Rhythm Guitars, and Jeremy Lustig is on Bass. Jeremy has actually left the band to join the US Army. Although we are bummed he had to go, we are extremely proud of him. We are currently looking for a new bass player, although we might have something in the works. Stay tuned!
When did you first start writing music?
  • I started writing some of the music for TTP's first album in 2010. Burn With Me and City Of Flames, both from our first album, were written then. As I said Silent Horror from our first album was from way back in the late 80s. I have been writing songs since the 80s...but mostly stuck to covers my whole career.
How did you choose your genre?
  • Do you really choose Metal? I think Metal chooses you! Metal just speaks to me. I love the aggression in it, and the vast array of lyric possibilities. I also love the Blues, and Rock.
Who were your influences?
  • My personal influences are Adrian Smith and Dave Murray from Iron Maiden, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dave Mustaine, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, Mathias Jabs, Vivian Campbell, Reb Beach, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Don Felder, and Richie Blackmore. As far as the band is concerned, our influences are Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Racer X, King Diamond, Pantera, Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Testament, and Overkill.
Did you ever take any formal music lessons?
  • I took 9 years of guitar lessons, the rest of the guys are basically self taught. I also was lucky to have a lot of study halls in high school where I learned a ton sitting around talking guitars with Joey Lodes from the band Maelstrom. He probably taught me more than my guitar teacher.
Did your environment while growing up have an impact on the kind of music you make today?
  • My parents were ultra conservative, and I don't think they got the metal thing. They listened to Elvis, The Beach Boys, and Doo Wop. I had my room plastered with Maiden posters, and I don't think they really got it...maybe they were scared. LOL. I did enjoy their music, and I do have to say there was always music playing in my house. I always liked more upbeat music...and metal just struck a chord with me. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Dio were the first metal bands I got into.
Which of your works would you say is your favorite, so far?
  • My favorite song to play live is definitely City Of Flames. Just has a good riff, and good chorus. But as far as favorite songs we have written, The Smell of Sulfur/Rise of the Demons from our first album, and Seven, from our second album. Sulfur just was a perfect mix musically and lyrically, and Maelstrom's Joey Lodes killed it on the guest guitar solo. Its dark, and the music is ultra dark and heavy. Seven was just a fun collaboration with Jimmy and I musically. Its was a quick write, and Johnny just nailed it with the lyrics.
How did you come up with the name of the new album?
  • Originally the album was going to be called "Scarred and Burned". We even had a great graphic artist named Bill Mangan working on the cover art...but I think we felt it was getting too complicated...and we had 7 songs on the album, so 7 just made sense. I do have to say people find it weird our 2nd album is called 7...but it adds a little mystery to it...which I have now just ruined for everyone. LOL
How do you feel about the impact of the internet on the music business?
  • Well on one hand, the internet has been great as far as being able to find new music. There are a ton of bands that I would never have listened to if it weren't for the internet. I am a big proponent of "if you like the bands music, pay for the album"...and I always follow that mantra. The problem with the internet, is because of the file sharing thing, bands just don't make any money off of album sales anymore, and its a real tough thing for bands trying to make a living. We have no delusions of "making it", we all have good jobs and families...I do this to get my music heard by as many people as I possibly can. I love talking music with anyone. The internet, has enabled me to talk music with people all around the world. We have a good buddy Johnny Main who is from Scotland. He is a big TTP fan...and he would never have heard of us if it weren't for the internet. So it helps and hinders bands just the same.
Do you think major record labels are necessary any more?
  • I do think they are necessary if a band wants to be the next Maiden or Metallica. However they are not necessary for you to make a living as a touring band. If you have good management and PR, you can do pretty well for yourself. But you really have to play everywhere, and I am sure the first few years are a struggle to make ends meet without a label behind you. But if you can get on a tour with an established act, and earn the audience's respect, you might be able to build a career.
How do you normally write your songs?
  • I am lucky enough to have a studio in my house. Its called The Locker, because its super tiny...but it serves its purpose. We did both of our albums there. Usually I sit down at my computer, and have a groove in mind, or a lyric, or a riff, and I just go from there. I usually present the band with a full song, demoed out with programmed drums. Then we hash it out in rehearsal. As far as lyrics go, I just happen to work really fast, so a lot of the time I present Johnny with lyrics already, and he might need to add a middle section or chorus. Sometimes I am lazy and I just tell him to write them. But usually if I write the song, I present him with lyrics too.
In your opinion, what does a good song need to consist of?
  • A great song has to have a chorus that you remember after the song is over. Music is about hooks. If a song doesn't have something that grabs you, then its not a good song. Even heavy bands like Suffocation and Lamb of God have hooks in their songs.
What song is most exciting to play live? Original and/or cover, please!
  • I said this before, but my favorite TTP song to play live is City Of Flames. I also like playing KIllZone live, as its become a crowd favorite. As far as covers go, TTP doesn't play many covers, but I did enjoy playing All Guns Blazing by Judas Priest at a few shows. We haven't been playing covers lately though.
What venues have been your favorite to play?
  • My favorite venue we have played is Mulcahy's in Wantagh NY. It has a very big stage, and is a big room. We played there while touring for our first album. I hope we get back with our tour for the second album.
What do you think the best part of touring is?
  • Free beer...hands down. And no brown M&Ms.
What cities have had the best reception for your music outside of your home state?
  • Thailand and Singapore were great! So was Rio De Janeiro. Not that we played there....but one can hope!
Describe your worst night on tour, ever.
  • Haven't had a worst night on tour. I don't really have terrible shows...at least with TTP. Had a show a while back where I was hanging around too long waiting to go on and there was German beer involved...wasn't pretty. LOL
Where do you see the band in 5 years? 10 years?
  • Hopefully in 5-10 years we are still cranking out albums, and playing gigs. I hope we can get on gigs with some more national acts. That will come, as we are drawing really well. Also wouldn't mind doing a Euro festival...but that is more a pipe dream than anything else.
Any words of wisdom for those with hopes of breaking into music?
  • Become a lawyer
What was the strangest thing to have happen while performing on stage?
  • Didn't happen with TTP but I have had girls flash me while I was playing...had strippers onstage...good times. I will save that for my book.
What's the best part of touring to you?
  • Road trips...and of course...beer!
What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
  • Probably football...I am a huge football fan. I think I get a little too crazy with it sometimes, but I love learning about the different offenses teams run, and seeing the chess match between offensive and defensive coordinators...that is American football by the way.
If you could have a conversation with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
  • Would love to sit and talk gear and guitars with Dave Mustaine. He and I write lyrics with the same level of anger/sarcasm/cynicism.
What has surprised you most in your career so far?
  • The lack of support between fellow bands. TTP is the band that when we play with other bands, we are up in the front supporting the other bands. Clapping, mashing, whatever. That enthusiasm is rarely shared. Also the lack of performance by other bands. We consider it a show...we don't go out and play our songs....we go out and run around and sweat and try to keep the audience involved. Some bands I swear have their shoes nailed to the stage and look down the whole time. People pay money to see you play....it should be an event.
Any hobbies outside of music? Sports, etc? Favorite teams?
  • As I said before, I love Football. San Diego Chargers are my team. I want to see Rivers win a Super Bowl, so people can look at the stats and see he is the best of the 2004 Big Three.
What word do you hate? What word do you love?
  • Words that I hate "Tribute Band". Words that I love "I'll get this round"
What do you watch on tv?
  • I so don't watch tv, unless its football. I don't have the attention span for tv. People are always talking about their favorite shows at work, or on the internet. I don't have time for that. I would rather write a new song, or practice playing guitar, or surf the net and learn something new. TV is a waste of time.
What movies do you like?
  • Any Star Wars....even the prequels. Love Old School, The Black Hole, Constantine, Raiders of the Lost Ark, most Sci Fi and horror.
Read any good books lately?
  • I read Mustaine, and I really enjoyed it. Read Sammy Hagars book and enjoyed that too. Also read Drew Brees book, was inspiring. Not a huge reader, but every once in a while I get the bug.
Where do you live?
  • In a cave out beyond the Dune Sea....or Franklin Square NY...the party capital of the world!
Thanks for the interview! 

Check us out on FB at www.facebook.com/tothepainny
Check us out on Twitter at www.twitter.com/tothepainny
Check us out on Reverb Nation at www.reverbnation.com/tothepain


0 comments: