punctilious \puhnk-TIL-ee-uhs\ , adjective:
- Strictly attentive to the details of form in action or conduct; precise; exact in the smallest particulars..
Origin: Punctilious derives from Late Latin punctillum, "a little point," from Latin punctum, "a point," from pungere, "to prick."
- A person obsessed with the minutiae of bar-tending practices and traditions, especially regarding the preparation of mixed drinks.
"Their cold gin flip was fairly authentic, but it really should be made with cubed ice, not crushed."
"You are such a cocktail weenie."
- Philadelphia: the City of Brotherly Love was founded (1682)
- Federalist Papers: the first of a series of essays was published, calling for the ratification of the US Constitution; the essays were written by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and John Jay (1787)
- IRT: New York City's first rapid transit subway opened (1904)
- nylon: chemical company DuPont announced the name of its new synthetic fiber (1938)
- Wall Street crash: trading was halted for a cooling-off period after the Dow fell more than 500 points (1997)
- James Cook 1728
- Nicola Paganini 1782
- Theodore Roosevelt (U.S.) 1858
- Emily Post 1872
- Leif Erickson 1911
- Dylan Thomas 1914
- Teresa Wright 1918
- Nanette Fabray 1920
- Ralph Kiner (MLB) 1922
- Roy Lichtenstein 1923
- Ruby Dee 1924
- Floyd Cramer 1933
- John Cleese 1939
- Lara Parker 1942
- Lee (Melvin) Greenwood 1942
- Carrie Snodgress 1946
- Terry Anderson 1947
- Jack Daniels (Highway 101) 1949
- Garry Tallent (E Street Band) 1949
- Fran Lebowitz 1950
- Jayne Kennedy-Overton 1951
- Roberto Benigni 1952
- Peter Firth 1953
- Robert Picardo 1953
- Simon LeBon (Duran Duran) 1958
- Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots) 1967
- Sean Holland 1968
- Sheeri Rappaport 1977
- Kelly Osbourne 1984