torpor \TAWR-per\, noun:
- Lacking in vitality or interest.
- A state of mental or physical inactivity or insensibility.
- Lethargy; apathy.
Good lenses, bad frames
- Describing someone who gives a bad first impression but is actually a good person. Someone who doesn't appear to be competent, yet is extremely capable at what he/she does.
Dr. Bruce is a spaz, but he's one of the best doctors I know. You wouldn't know it by looking at him...good lenses, bad frames.
- Hattie Caraway: became the first woman elected to the US Senate, exactly 17 years after the House rejected suffrage for women; she made no speeches in the 14 years she served (1932)
- James Bedford: Californian professor of psychology became the first person to be cryonically preserved when he was frozen a few hours after his death from cancer (1967)
- All in the Family: groundbreaking sitcom premiered on TV, dealing with issues previously considered unacceptable — including racism, homosexuality and impotence (1971)
- Deep Impact: space probe was launched from Cape Canaveral to study the core of comet 9P/Tempel by crashing into it; the probe reached its target in July (2005)
- Joe E. Lewis (Klewan) 1902
- Tex (Woodward) Ritter 1905
- Luise Rainer 1910
- Martin Agronsky 1915
- Glenn Yarbrough (The Limeliters) 1930
- William Lee Golden (The Oak Ridge Boys) 1939
- Tucker (Ivan) Frederickson 1943
- Joe Frazier 1944
- Maggie Bell (Stone the Crows) 1945
- Cynthia Robinson (Sly and the Family Stone) 1946
- Anthony Andrews 1948
- Wayne Wang 1949
- Ricky Van Shelton 1952
- Kirstie Alley 1955
- Charlie Gillingham (Counting Crows) 1960
- Jeffrey Bezos 1964
- Rob Zombie (White Zombie) 1966
- Melanie Chisholm (Spice Girls) 1975
- Alicia Angel (t3h pr0n) 1984
- Andrew Lawrence 1988