fractious \FRAK-shuhs\, adjective:
- Tending to cause trouble; unruly.
- Irritable; snappish; cranky.
Fractious is from fraction, which formerly had the sense "discord, dissension, disharmony"; it is derived from Latin frangere, "to break."
- When your ripped six pack is covered by a thick layer of fat.
This isn't a beer belly, it's my stealth abs. I just needed to avoid attracting too many ladies with my well defined stomach.
- Transcontinental Treaty: Spain ceded Florida to the US (1819)
- Woolworth's store: general-store clerk Frank Woolworth opened his first five-and-dime, in Utica, NY (1879)
- Daytona 500: NASCAR's most important race was first held in Daytona Beach, Florida; Lee Petty came in first, driving at 135.52 mph (213.22 kmph) (1959)
- 1978 - Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen were arrested in New York and charged with drug possession.
- Miracle on Ice: the US beat the Soviet Union at ice hockey in a major upset at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York (1980)
- 1989 - Milli Vanilli won a Grammy for Best New Artist. It was admitted later that they were not the vocalists on the album.
- 1993 - Radiohead's first album, "Pablo Honey", was released.
- Securitas depot robbery: a group of men pulled off Britain's biggest crime in terms of cash stolen — £53 million (2006)
- George Washington (U.S.) 1732 - First President of the United States.
- Johann Nikolaus Forkel 1749
- Rembrandt Peale 1778
- Frederic-Francois Chopin 1810
- James Russell Lowell 1819
- Robert Baden-Powell 1857
- Edna St. Vincent Millay 1892
- Luis Bunuel 1900
- Robert Young 1907
- Sheldon Leonard 1907
- John Mills 1908
- Robert Wadlow 1918
- Bud Yorkin 1926
- Paul Dooley 1928
- Edward M. Kennedy 1932 - got away with murder
- Ernie K-Doe 1936
- Bobby Hendricks 1938
- Jonathan Demme 1944
- John Ashton 1948
- Ellen Greene 1950
- Julie Walters 1950
- Julius Erving II 1950
- Miou-Miou (Sylvette Hery) 1950
- Amy Alcott 1956
- Kyle MacLachlan 1959
- Steve Irwin 1962 - The Crocodile Hunter
- Jeri Ryan 1968
- Jose Solano 1971
- Lea Salonga 1971
- Michael Chang 1972
- Scott "Flip" Phillips (Thomas Scott "Flip" Phillips) 1973 - Drummer (Creed)
- Drew Barrymore 1975 - Actress