quadrennial \kwo-DREN-ee-uhl\, adjective:
1. Occurring every four years.2. Of or lasting for four years.
1. An event occurring every four years, as an anniversary or its celebration.
Clearly, quadrennial comes from the Latin words quadri- meaning four and annus meaning years, with the suffix -ial meaning pertaining to.
- To stick your hand in your pocket and scratch your balls.
"Hey, man, that girl's lookin' at you -- you better stop playin' pocket pool!"
- Christopher Columbus: used a correctly predicted lunar eclipse to convince Jamaicans to provide supplies for his crew (1504)
- Hattie McDaniel: became the first African American to win an Academy award for her role as Mammy in Gone with the Wind (1940)
- In New York City, four signs were installed at 44th Street and Broadway in Times Square that told pedestrians when to walk. (1952)
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide: president of Haiti resigned after rioting opposition forces surrounded the capital (2004)
- Ann Lee (Anne the Word or Mother Anne) 1736 - Founder of Shakerism in United States
- Gioacchino Rossini 1792 - Opera composer ("The Barber of Seville")
- John Philip Holland 1840 - Inventor of the first submarine accepted by the U.S. Navy
- Herman Hollerith 1860 - Engineer, teacher, inventor of first electric tabulating machine (forerunner of the calculator)
- Theodore 'Theo' Hardeen 1876
- William Wellman 1896 - Screenwriter, director
- Jimmy Dorsey 1904 - bandleader
- Pepper (John Leonard Roosevelt) Martin 1904 - Baseball player
- Dinah Shore 1916 - Singer, entertainer ("The Dinah Shore Show")
- Arthur Franz 1920 - Actor
- Michèle Morgan 1920 - Actress
- Howard Nemerov 1920 - Poet
- Al Rosen 1924 - Baseball player
- Joss Ackland 1928 - Actor ("The Hunt for Red October")
- Tempest Storm (Annie Blanche Banks) - Actress
- Jack Lousma 1936 - Astronaut
- Henri Richard 1936 - Hockey player known as "The Pocket Rocket", he played on 11 Stanley Cup champion teams
- Alex Rocco 1936 - Actor ("The Godfather", "Herbie Goes Bananas")
- Gretchen Christopher 1940 - Singer (Fleetwoods)
- Joe Giglio 1940 - Singer (The Four Aces)
- Dennis Farina 1944 - Actor ("Law & Order", "Striking Distance")
- Steve Mingori 1944 - Baseball player
- John Niland 1944 - Football player
- Patricia McKillip 1948 - Science-fiction writer