quixotic \kwik-SOT-ik\, adjective:
- Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals.
- Capricious; impulsive; unpredictable.
Quixotic refers to the eccentric, generous idealism of Don Quixote, the hero of a satiric romance by Miguel de Cervantes.
- Phrase used before one inadvertently says something that sounds stalkerish on Facebook.
- Methodism: Anglican clergyman and evangelist John Wesley chartered the first Methodist church (1784)
- Shanghai Communiqué: US President Nixon and Chinese Premier Chou En-lai issued a document advancing normalization between the two countries (1972)
- M*A*S*H: the final episode — "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" — aired; it was the top-rated TV episode in the US (1983)
- Olof Palme: the Swedish prime minister and his wife were shot in Stockholm; he was killed, she survived (1986)
- Waco siege: 51-day standoff began with a gun battle between federal agents and members of the cloistered Branch Davidian sect; the agents were attempting to arrest leader David Koresh on a weapons charge (1993)
- Mary Lyon 1797 - Educator, founder of Mount Holyoke Seminary (later Mt. Holyoke College)
- Sir John Tenniel 1820 - Cartoonist, illustrator
- Charles Blondin (Jean Francois Gravelet) 1824 - Acrobat, aerialist, first to walk across Niagra Falls on a tightrope.
- Linus Pauling 1901 - Nobel prize for chemistry in 1954, Nobel peace prize winner in 1962
- Vincente Minnelli (Lester Anthony Minnelli) 1903 - Director, Liza Minelli's father
- Earl Scheib 1907
- Milton Caniff 1907 - Cartoonist
- Billie Bird 1908
- Zero (Samuel) Mostel (Samuel Joel Mostel) 1915 - Actor
- Lee Castle 1915 - Musician, bandleader (Jimmy Dorsey's band)
- Alf Kjellin 1920 - Actor, director
- Charles Durning 1923 - Actor ("Spy Hard", "Dick Tracy", "The Hindenburg")
- Chris Kraft 1924 - NASA flight director and voice of Mission Control for all Mercury and many Gemini missions
- Svetlana Allilueva 1926 - Author, daughter of Russian leader Joseph Stalin
- Frank Malzone 1930 - Baseball player
- Gavin MacLeod 1931 - Actor ("Love Boat", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show")
- Don Francks 1932 - Actor
- Tommy Tune 1939 - Dancer, actor, choreographer
- Mario Andretti 1940 - Auto racer, twin of Aldo Andretti
- Aldo Andretti 1940 - Twin of Mario Andretti
- Joe South 1940 - Songwriter, singer
- Frank Bonner 1942 - Actor ("WKRP in Cincinnati")
- Brian Jones (Lewis Hopkin-Jones) 1942 - Musician (The Rolling Stones)
- Poul Popiel 1943
- Maxine Bahns 1971 - Actress
- FeFe Dobson 1985 - Singer
Ali Larter 1976 - Actress
- Bobb'e J. Thompson 1996