portentous \por-TEN-tus\, adjective:
1. Foreboding; foreshadowing, especially foreshadowing ill; ominous.2. Marvelous; prodigious; wonderful; as, a beast of portentous size.3. Pompous.
remley: hey wanna get some sushi tomorrow?
erica: most deff. i will pen you into my schedule.
- Andrew Jackson: US president was censured by the Senate for his actions in the Bank War; the censure was later expunged from the record (1834)
- Turkey: key cities changed names: Constantinople became Istanbul and Angora was tweaked to Ankara (1930)
- Virginia Woolf: distinguished novelist, critic and essayist (A Room Of One's Own) committed suicide by drowning; she had been suffering from depression and bouts of mental illness for many years (1941)
- Three Mile Island: the most serious nuclear accident in US history took place at a power station in Pennsylvania (1979)
- Paul Whiteman 1890
- August Busch 1899