salient \SAY-lee-unt; SAYL-yunt\, adjective:
- Shooting out or up; projecting.
- Forcing itself on the attention; prominent; conspicuous; noticeable.
- Leaping; springing; jumping.
- An outwardly projecting part of a fortification, trench system, or line of defense.
- A projecting angle or part.
Salient derives from the present participle of Latin salire, to leap. Other words deriving from salire are sally, to leap forth or rush out suddenly; and perhaps salmon, the "leaping" fish.
- An airliner that flies between two high-tech cities. It is likely that the majority of the passengers will be nerds.
- Lend-Lease Act: was signed into law by FDR, providing aid in the form of equipment, food and weapons to the Allies during WWII (1941)
- Mikhail Gorbachev: was appointed the leader of the Soviet Union, despite being the youngest member of the politburo at the time (1985)
- Paul McCartney: was knighted by Queen Elizabeth (1997)
- Madrid bombings: 10 bombs exploded on the train system during rush hour, killing 191 (2004)
- Thomas Hastings 1860
- Malcolm Campbell 1885
- Lawrence Welk 1903
- Harold Wilson 1916
- Mercer Ellington 1919
- A. Louise Brough 1923
- Terence Alexander 1923
- Ralph David Abernathy 1926
- Troy Ruttman 1930 Valerie French 1931
- Rupert Murdoch 1931 - Media mogul
- Leroy Jenkins 1932
- Nancy Kovack 1935
- Antonin Scalia 1936 - U.S. Supreme Court Justice
- Flaco Jimenez 1939 - Musician (The Texas Tornadoes)
- Rick Rothwell (Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders) 1944
- Tricia O'Neil 1945 - Actress
- Mark Metcalf 1946 - Actor ("Animal House")
- Mark Stein 1947 - Musician (Vanilla Fudge)
- George Kooymans 1948 - Musician (Golden Earring)
- Bobby McFerrin 1950 - Singer
- Dominique Sanda 1951
- Douglas Adams 1952
- Catharina "Nina" Hagen 1955 - Singer / Actress
- Jimmy Fortune 1955 - Country singer (The Statler Brothers)
- Cheryl Lynn 1957 - Singer
- Anissa Jones 1958
- Bruce Watson 1961 - Musician (Big Country)
- Jeffrey Nordling 1962 - Actor
- Alex Kingston 1963 - Actress ("ER")
- Vincent Abbott 1964 - Drummer (Pantera)
- Wallace Langham 1965 - Actor ("CSI")
- Terrence Howard 1969 - Actor
- Eric "The Actor" Lynch 1975 - Radio personality / Stern Show
Joel Madden 1979 - Musician (Good Charlotte)
- Benji Madden 1979 - Musician (Good Charlotte)
- Dan Uggla 1980 - Baseball player
- David Anders 1981 - Actor ("Alias")
- LeToya Nicole Luckett 1981 - Singer (Destiny's Child)
- Anton Yelchin 1989 - Actor