bedizen \bih-DY-zuhn\, transitive verb:
- To dress or adorn in gaudy manner.
Bedizen is the prefix be-, "completely; thoroughly; excessively" + dizen, an archaic word meaning "to deck out in fine clothes and ornaments," from Middle Dutch disen, "to dress (a distaff) with flax ready for spinning," from Middle Low German dise, "the bunch of flax placed on a distaff."
1. Someone who has difficulty determining right from left
2. Someone who often confuses directions, and prefers visual aids.
3. Someone who has great difficulty reading maps and/or driving while listening to directions.
Can be spelt using a hyphen, if needed.
Are you directionally challenged? I told you to turn left two blocks ago; we're going to be late now!
Woman: You just turned left instead of right.
Man: I'm sorry, I'm directionally-challenged.
- Alhambra Decree: was signed, giving Spain's Jews four months to convert or face expulsion (1492)
- Eiffel Tower: was dedicated in Paris; designed by bridge engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, the open-lattice wrought iron masterpiece was the tallest structure in the world at the time (1889)
- Daylight Savings Time: was instituted in the US for the first time (1918)
- Dalai Lama: Tibetan spiritual and political leader went into exile and was granted asylum in India (1959)
- Rene Descartes 1596 - Philosopher, "I think, therefore I am"
- Andrew Marvell 1621 - Poet
- John Harrison 1693
- Nikolai Gogol 1809 - Playwright, novelist
- Edward Fitzgerald 1809 - Author
- Robert Wilhelm Bunsen 1811
- Mary Chestnut 1823 - Author
- Sir Dugald Clerk 1854
- Jack Johnson 1878 - Boxer, author
- Henry Morgan 1915 - Comedian
- Tommy Bolt 1918 - Golfer
- Richard Kiley 1922 - Actor ("The Thorn Birds")
- Leo Buscaglia 1925
- Cesar Chavez 1927 - Labor leader, founder of National Farm Workers Association
- William Daniels 1927 - Actor ("St. Elsewhere", voice of KITT on "Knight Rider")
- Gordie (Gordon) Howe 1928 - Hockey player (Detroit Red Wings, Hartford Whalers)
- Lefty (William Orville) Frizzell 1928 - Country musician
- Liz Claiborne 1929 - Fashion designer
- Miller Barber 1931 - Golfer
- John Jakes 1932 - Author ("California", "In the Big Country")
- John D. Loudermilk 1934 - Country singer and songwriter
- Shirley Jones 1934 - Singer, Actress ("The Partridge Family")
- Richard Chamberlain 1934 - Actor ("The Bourne Identity")
- Herb Alpert 1935 - Musician
- Christopher Walken 1943 - Actor ("The Deerhunter", "Pulp Fiction")
- Rod Allen 1944 - Musician (The Fortunes)
- Gabe Kaplan 1945 - Actor ("Welcome Back Kotter"), comedian
- Al Nichol 1946 - Musician (The Turtles)
- Al Gore 1948 - lying shill
- Rhea Perlman 1948 - Actress ("Cheers"), comedian
- Mick Ralphs 1948 - Musician (Bad Company, Mott the Hoople)
- Ed Marinaro 1950 - Football player (Minnesota Vikings), Actor ("Hill Street Blues")
- Sean Hopper 1953 - Musician (Huey Lewis and The News)
- Marc McClure 1957 - Actor ("Freak Friday")
- Angus Young 1959 - Guitar player (AC/DC)
- William McNamara 1965 - Actor
- Pavel Bure 1971 - Hockey player
- Ewen McGregor 1971 - Actor ("Star Wars: The Phantom Menace", "Moulin Rouge")