neophyte \NEE-uh-fyt\, noun:
1. A new convert or proselyte.
2. A novice; a beginner in anything.
Neophyte comes from Late Latin neophytus, from Greek neophutos, "newly planted," from neo-, "new" + phutos, "planted," from phuein, "to grow, to bring forth."
- (noun) 1. Afternoon.
College Student B: "Sure, just come by tomorrow morning."
College Student A: "Okay!"
THE NEXT DAY, 9 AM
College Student A: "Hey, I have your money!"
College Student B: (waking up) "Goddamn it, I meant COLLEGE MORNING."
- Niagara Falls: ceased falling due to an ice jam upstream (1848)
- North America Act: the British parliament created the Dominion of Canada (1867)
- Royal Albert Hall: was opened by Queen Victoria, dedicated to her husband and consort, Prince Albert (1871)
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus: the Ringling Brothers joined P.T. Barnum and James A. Bailey to form "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1919)
- Ethel and Julius Rosenberg: US Communist couple were convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage about the atomic bomb on behalf of the Soviet Union (1951)
- Vietnam War: the last US soldiers left South Vietnam (1973)
- Ireland: became the first country to ban smoking in all public places (2004)
- John Tyler (U.S.) 1790
- Cy Young 1867
- Howard Lindsay 1888
- Phillip Ahn 1905
- Edward Biggs 1906
- Phil Foster 1914
- Eugene McCarthy 1916
- Sam Walton 1918 - Founder of Wal-Mart
- Pearl Mae Bailey 1918
- Eileen Heckart 1919
- John McLaughlin 1927 - TV host ("The McLaughlin Group")
- Judith Guest 1936 - Author
- Vangelis 1943 - Composer ("Chariots of Fire")
- Eric Idle 1943 - Comedian ("Monty Python")
- John Major 1943 - Former British prime minister
- Walt "Clyde" Frazier 1945 - Basketball player
- Bobby Kimball 1947 - Singer (Toto)
- Michael Brecker 1949 - Musician (The Brecker Brothers)
- Bud Cort 1950
Marina Sirtis 1955 - Actress (Star Trek TNG)
- Earl Campbell 1955 - Football player (Houston Oilers)
- Elle MacPherson 1964 - Model
- John Popper 1967 - Musician (Blues Traveler)
- Lucy Lawless 1968 - Actress ("Xena: Warrior Princess")
- Brady Seals 1969 - Country singer
- Jennifer Capriati 1976 - Tennis player