popinjay \POP-in-jay\, noun:
- A vain and talkative person.
Popinjay is from Middle English papejay, popingay, meaning "parrot," from Old French papegai, deriving ultimately from Arabic babagha.
- A book printed on dead trees, i.e. paper, as opposed to an e-book, which only exists electronically. Compare with snail mail.
Thomas: Hey, how do you like your new Kindle?
Andrew: I don't know, I haven't used it yet. I'm still trying to finish all the tree-books I'm reading.
- anesthesia: was first used in an operation; a tumor was removed from a man's neck while he was under the effects of ether (1842)
- pencil: patent was awarded to Hymen Lipman for attaching an eraser to the end (1858); it was declared invalid by the US Supreme Court 17 years later because his invention was simply "an aggregation of separate elements"
- Seward's Folly: the US bought Alaska from Russia for $7.2m. — about 2 cents an acre (1867)
- 15th amendment: was declared in effect, giving black men the right to vote (1870)
- Jeopardy!: game show debuted on television (1964)
- Ronald Reagan: was shot by John Hinckley, Jr.; the US president was hit in the chest and seriously wounded, but recovered fully (1981)
- Francisco Jose de Goya y Lucientes 1746
- Warren Beatty 1937 - Actor
- Jerry Lucas 1940 - Basketball player
- Astrud Gilberto 1940
- Graeme Edge 1941 - Musician (Moody Blues)
- Bobby Wright 1942
- Ronnie Rice 1944 (New Colony 6)
- Eric Clapton 1945 - Musician
- Jim Dandy Mangrum 1948 - Musician (Black Oak Arkansas)
- Robbie Coltrane 1950 - Actor
- Dave Ball 1950 - Musician (Procol Harum)
- Re Styles 1950 - Musician (The Tubes)
- Randy VanWarmer 1955 - Singer, songwriter
- Paul Reiser 1957 - Actor (Mad About You, ALIENS), comedian
- M.C. Hammer 1962 - Rapper
- Ian Ziering 1964 - Actor
- Tracy Chapman 1964 - Singer
- Donna D'Errico 1968 - actress, model. See more HERE
- Celine Dion 1968 - Singer
- Mark Consuelos 1970 - Actor
- Norah Jones 1979 - Musician
- Scott Moffatt 1983 - Singer, musician (The Moffats)
- Jevgenija Diordiychuk 1983 - model, Russian PMOY AKA: Yevgenia / Eugenia / Evgenia Diordiychuk, Jenya D, Shawnee, Katie Fey, Shawnee, Vanesa Gojgi. See more HERE
Misty Romano 1989