wastrel \WAY-struhl\, noun:
1. A person who wastes, especially one who squanders money; a spendthrift.Wastrel is from waste + -rel (as in scoundrel).
2. An idler; a loafer; a good-for-nothing.
- A person who is just looking around and may or may not be interested in buying something from a store. As used on Arrested Development.
Store clerk: "Oh, look who's back... are you going to buy something this time, or are you just curious?"
Tobias: "Well, I guess you could say that I'm buy-curious!"
- Earth Day - The one day everyone is supposed to be a little more conscious of treating the planet better.
- Oklahoma Land Rush: began officially at noon with thousands of homesteaders staking their claims (1889)
- Earth Day: first observed (1970)
- Henry Fielding 1707 - Author ("The History of Tom Jones")
- Immanuel Kant 1724 - Philosopher
- Nikolai Lenin (Vladimir Ilyich Lenin) 1870 - Russian premier (1917-1924)
- Nicola Sacco 1891 - Convicted of robbery and executed along with Bartolomeo Vanzetti after a controversial trial in Massachusetts.
- Vladimir Nabokov 1899 - Russian novelist
- J. Robert Oppenheimer 1904 - Physicist, designed and built the first atomic bomb
- Eddie Albert (Edward Albert Heimberger) 1908 - Actor ("Green Acres")
- Robert Wadlow Alton 1918 - At the time of his death on July 15, 1940 he was the tallest man in the world according to Guinness World Records. He was 8 ft 11.1 in.
- Mickey (James Barton) Vernon 1918 - Baseball
- Hal March (Mendelson) 1920 - Television emcee ("The $64,000 Question"), actor ("The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show")
- Candid Camero 1921 - Musician
- Charles Mingus 1922 - Musician
- Richard Diebenkorn 1922 - Musician, singer, bandleader, composer
- Aaron Spelling 1923 - Exectuive producer ("Fantasy Island", "Beverly Hills 90210")
- George Cole 1925 - Actor ("Minder", "Flash Harry")
- Charlotte Rae 1926 - Actress ("Facts of Life")
- Estelle Harris 1932 - Actess ("Seinfeld")
- Mark Damon (Alan Harris) 1933 - Actor ("The Fall of the House of Usher")
- Glen Campbell 1936 - Singer, actor
- Jack Nitzsche 1937 - Arranger, producer, songwriter
- Mel Carter 1943 - Singer, actor
- John Waters 1946 - Director
- Larry Groce 1948 - Singer, songwriter
- Spencer Haywood 1949 - Basketball player
- Peter Frampton 1950 - Musician (Humble Pie)
- Paul Carrack 1951 - Musician (Squeeze, Mike & the Mechanics)
- Tom Lysiak 1953 - Hockey player
- Joseph Bottoms 1954 - Actor ("Surfacing", "Inner Sanctum")
- Byron Allen 1961 - Comedian, television host, actor ("Real People")
- Chris Makepiece 1964 - Actor ("My Bodyguard", "Captive Hearts")
- Jeffrey Dan Morgan 1966 - Actor ("Grey's Anatomy")
- Sheryl Lee 1967 - Actress ("Twin Peaks")
- Sherri Shepherd 1967 - Talk show host, actress
- Heath Wright 1967 - Musician (Ricochet)
- Ingo Rademacher 1971 - Actor ("General Hospital")
- Eric Mabius 1971 - Actor ("Ugly Betty")
- Anna Falchi 1972 - actress, hottie (below)
- Daniel Johns 1979 - Musician (Silverchair)
- Amber Heard 1986 - Actress (right)