baksheesh \bak-SHEESH\, noun:
1. A gratuity, present or tip.2. A gratuity, tip, or bribe paid to expedite service.
1. To give a tip.
Baksheesh originally was a common term for a tip in Near Eastern countries such as India and Egypt. The Persian bakhshish, "gift," derives from the verb bakhshidan, "to give."
- A condition resulting from seeing the total price of a bunch of items and realizing the damage is much greater than you originally expected. May cause a person to have second thoughts about the purchase.
I wanted to book your mom for 7 days of her "services," but when I realized the total came to $21, I got major sticker shock and decided to bail out.
- Clara Barton: founded the American Red Cross (1881)
- Hydrogen bomb: first aerial detonation took place over Bikini atoll (1956)
- Rajiv Gandhi: former Indian prime minister was assassinated while running for reelection (1991)
- Susan Lucci: won her first Daytime Emmy award for Best Actress in the 19th consecutive year she was nominated (1999)
- Albrecht Durer 1471
- Philip II (Spain) 1527
- Alexander Pope 1688
- Glenn Hammond Curtiss 1878
- Armand Hammer 1898
- Horace Heidt 1901
- Fats Waller 1904
- Robert Montgomery 1904
- Sister Maria Innocentia Hummel 1909
- Harold Robbins 1916
- Dennis Day 1917
- Raymond Burr 1917
- Anthony Steel 1920
- Andrei Sakharov 1921 - Soviet physicist, he came to be regarded as the father of the Soviet hydrogen bomb, Soviet antiwar activist
- Ara Parseghian 1923
- Peggy Cass 1924
- Ed Fitz Gerald 1924
- Robert Creeley 1926
- Tommy Bryant 1930
- David Groh 1939
- Heinz Holliger 1939
- Ronald Isley (The Isley Brothers) 1941