ethereal \ih-THEER-ee-uhl\, adjective:
1. Light, airy, or tenuous.2. Extremely delicate or refined.3. Heavenly or celestial.4. Pertaining to the upper regions of space.5. Chemistry. Pertaining to, containing, or resembling ethyl ether.
Ethereal enters English from the Ancient Greek aitherios, "pertaining to the upper air."
- The urge people get once inside an elevator to stare compulsively at the ascending numbered lights (usually on top of the elevator doors) either because they are truly convinced this will speed up the whole 'process' or they are simply socially-awkward beings who can't bear to look at random people in the face for 30 seconds.
Mo:"Dude so I was talking to this chick.."
To単o Bicicleta: "Call you back Mo I have to stare at the floor 'till I get off the vator or else I have to talk to these people".
Mo: "Sounds like a bad case of the elevator reflex yo, you should go get checked."
- Sierra Club: environmental activist group was founded by Scottish-American conservationist John Muir, among others; it now has nearly three quarters of a million members (1892)
- Mathias Rust: 19-year-old pilot from Germany landed his plane near Moscow's Red Square; he was arrested and sentenced to four years in prison, but was released after a year (1987)
- Owain Glyndwr 1354 - Welsh ruler, Prince of Wales
- Dr. Joseph Ignace Guillotine 1738 - Physician, he did not invent the guillotine even though he did propose the use of a mechanical device to carry out death sentences in France
- Thomas Moore 1779 - Lawyer, social philosopher, author
- Jim Thorpe 1888 - Olympic athlete, baseball and basketball player
- Taffy Abel (Clarence John "Taffy" Abel) 1900 - Hockey player
- Ian Fleming 1908 - Author, journalist, created character of James Bond
- T-Bone Walker 1910 - Musician, singer
- Dietrich Fisher-Dieskau 1925 - Singer, conductor
- Marvin Panch 1926 - NASCAR driver
- Jeannie Carson 1929 - Actress ("Andy Griffith Show")
- Sonny Burgess (Albert Austin "Sonny" Burgess) 1931 - Singer
- Carroll Baker 1931 - Actress
- John Karlen (John Adam Karlewicz) 1933 - Actor
- Justin Kirk 1969 - Actor ("Weeds")
- Morgan Fox 1970 - Model, actress
- Elisabeth Hasselbeck 1977 - Television host ("The View")