kibitz \KIB-its\, verb:
1. To chat; converse.
2. To look on and offer unwanted, usually meddlesome advice to others.
It derives from the Yiddish kibetsn, which is equivalent to the German kiebitzen, "to look on at cards."
- to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as, a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment, or anything else that makes one think of grown ups.
Used in a sentence: Jane is adulting quite well today as she is on time for work promptly at 8am and appears well groomed.
- Standard Oil Company: in a historic ruling, the Supreme Court ordered the dissolution of Rockefeller's mega-monopoly; several of the pieces would later be known as Exxon, Mobil, Amoco and Chevron (1911)
- nylon stockings: first went on sale in the US (1940)
- Portrait of Dr. Gachet: Van Gogh painting fetched a record high price of $82.5 million; the record stood till 2006, and Dr. Gachet is now No. 4 (1990)
- Lyman Frank Baum 1856 - Author of children's books ("The Wonderful Wizard of Oz")
- Pierre Curie 1859 - Physicist
- Katherine Anne Porter 1890 - Journalist, essayist, short story writer
- Joseph Cotten (Joseph Cheshire Cotten) 1905 - Actor
- James Mason (James Neville Mason) 1909 - Actor
- Constance Cummings 1910 - Actress
- Max Frisch 1911 - Architect, playwright, novelist
- Eddy Arnold (Richard Edward Arnold) 1918 - Country singer
- Ellis Larkins 1923 - Musician
- Richard Avedon 1923 - Photographer
- Anthony Shaffer 1926 - Playwright, novelist, screenwriter
- Jasper Johns 1930 - Artist
- Wavy Gravy (Hugh Nanton Romney) 1936 - Entertainer, peace activist
- Paul Zindel 1936 - Playwright, author
- Anna Maria Alberghetti 1936 - Opera singer, actress
- Madeleine Albright 1937 - First woman to become a U.S. Secretary of State
- Lenny Welch 1938 - Singer
- Paul Rudd 1940 - Actor
- Lainie Kazan 1940 - Actress, singer
- K.T. Oslin (Kay Toinette Oslin) 1942 - Country singer, songwriter
- Graham Goble 1947 - Musician (Little River Band)
- Brian Eno 1948 - Musician (Roxy Music)
- Chazz Palminteri (Calogero Lorenzo "Chazz" Palminteri) 1951 - Actor, writer
- George Brett 1953 - Baseball player
- Mike Oldfield (Michael Gordon "Mike" Oldfield) 1953 - Musician, composer
- Lee Horsley 1955 - Actor
- Emmitt Smith 1969 - Football player
- Prince Be 1970 - (PM Dawn)
- David Charvet 1972 - Singer, actor
- Ahmet Rodan Zappa 1974 - Musician
- Amy Chow 1978 - Comedienne