perpend \per-PEND\, verb:
1. To ponder; deliberate.noun:
2. To be attentive; reflect.
1. A large stone passing through the entire thickness of a wall.
While perpend as a noun means "a large stone passing through the entire thickness of a wall" (related to perpendicular), the verb form not only possesses a different pronunciation but also emerges independently from the Latin root perpendere, "to weigh carefully."
- Am I right?
- Chinese Exclusion Act: barred Chinese laborers from the US for 10 years, despite President Chester Arthur's veto (1882)
- Eiffel Tower: was dedicated at the opening of the Universal Exposition in Paris (1889)
- Toots Shor (Bernard Shor) 1903 - Restaurateur
- Pat Harder 1922 - Football player
- Elizabeth Sellars 1923 - Actress ("A Voyage Round My Father", "Never Let Go")
- Harry (Percival) Watson 1923 - Hockey player
- Willie (Howard) Mays 1931 - Baseball player
- Bill (William Alfred) Hands - Baseball player
- Bob Seger 1945 - Musician, singer
- Jimmie Dale Gilmore 1945
- Grier Jones 1946 - Golfer
- Alan Dale 1947 - Actor
- Ben Masters 1947 - Actor ("Noble House", "Dream Lover")
- Mary MacGregor 1948
- Dennis Havig 1949 - Football player
- Davey Johnstone 1951 - Musician (Elton John's trio)
- Fred McNeil 1952 - Football player
- Gregg Henry 1952
- Mare Winningham 1959
- Roma Downey 1963 - Actress ("Touched by an Angel")