phlegmatic \fleg-MAT-ik\, adjective:
1. Not easily excited to action or display of emotion; apathetic; sluggish.2. Self-possessed, calm, or composed.3. Of the nature of or abounding in the humor phlegm.
Phlegmatic finds its origin in medical theories of the humors, the phlegmatic temperment. The Greek root phlegmatikós, "pertaining to phlegm," is the source.
- Describes people who drive while sending text messages on their phones.
"Dude, what was THAT?!"
"Probably just some intexticated highschooler."
"How did she get in a car accident?"
"She was intexticated."
- Towel Day: (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
- Constitutional Convention: convened in Philadelphia; George Washington presided (1787)
- Monkey Trial: John T. Scopes was indicted in Tennessee for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution (1925)
- Babe Ruth: hit his 714th home run, setting a record that held until 1974, when Hank Aaron broke it (1935)
- track and field: at the Big Ten Track and Field Championships, Jesse Owens tied one world record and broke three others, all within 45 minutes (1935)
- Erik Weihenmayer: became the first blind man to climb Mt. Everest (2001)
- Luther 'Bill' Robinson (Bill "Bojangles" Robinson) 1878 - Tap dancer, actor
- Philip Murray 1886 - Steelworker, labor leader
- Igor Sikorsky (Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky) 1889 - Pioneer in aviation with helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft
- Ginny Simms 1916 - Singer
- Claude Akins 1926 - Actor
- Lindsey Nelson 1919 - Sportscaster
- Hal David 1921 - Lyricist
- John Weitz 1923 - Fashion and industrial designer
- Jeanne Crain 1925 - Actress
- Miles Davis 1926 - Trumpeter, bandleader, composer
- Beverly Sills 1929 - Opera singer
- K.C. Jones 1932 - Basketball player
- Ron Nessen 1934 - White House Press Secretary for President Gerald Ford
- Tom T. Hall 1936 - Country singer, songwriter
- Donnie Elbert 1936 - Singer
- Raymond Carver 1938 - Short story writer, poet
- Dixie Carter 1939 - Actress ("Designing Women," "Desperate Housewives")
- Ian McKellen 1939 - Actor
- Jessi Colter 1943 - Country musician
- Leslie Uggams 1943 - Actress, singer
- Patti D'Arbanville-Quinn 1951 - Actress, model
- John Grimaldi 1955 - Musician (Argent)
- Sugar Minott 1956 - Reggae singer
- Klaus Meine 1958 - Musician (Scorpions)
- Paul Weller 1958 - Musician (The Jam, Style Council)
- Mike Myers 1963 - Actor, comedian, screenwriter, cast member on "Saturday Night Live," ("Austin Powers" movies)
- Anne Heche 1969 - Actress ("Volcano")
- Miguel Tejada 1974 - Baseball player
- Lauryn Hill 1975 - Musician (The Fugees)
- Cillian Murphy 1976 - Actor
- Brian Urlacher 1978 - Football player