amok \uh-MUHK\, adjective:
1. In or into a jumbled or confused state.2. In or into an uncontrolled state or a state of extreme activity.3. In a frenzy to do violence or kill.
1. A psychic disturbance characterized by depression followed by a manic urge to murder.
Amok enters English from the Malay amuk, "attacking furiously." The word was adopted into Portugese as amouco.
- A move so smooth with regards to initiating sexual or pseudo-sexual congress with someone that it could only otherwise have happened in a heavily scripted porn film.
Person A: So I lean over to try and get her number and BAM, next thing I know we're doing it in the back of my van. It was such a porn moment.
PersonB: Uhh, thanks dad
- Juneteenth (southern United States) - June 19 - Celebrated in Texas to commemorate the day in 1865 when Union General Granger proclaimed the slaves of Texas free. Also proclaimed as Emancipation Day by the Florida legislature. Juneteenth has become an occasion for commemoration by African Americans in many parts of the US.
- Julius and Ethel Rosenberg: were executed in New York's Sing Sing prison for conspiracy to commit espionage for the USSR (1953)
- Civil Rights Act of 1964: was approved after outlasting an 83-day US Senate filibuster
- The Rocky Horror Show: romped for the first time, on stage in London (1973)
- John Neumann: Philadelphia bishop became the first US male saint when he was canonized by Pope John Paul II (1977)
- Garfield: Jim Davis's comic strip about a lazy, overeating cat debuted (1978)