penumbra \pi-NUHM-bruh\, noun:
1. An area in which something exists to an uncertain degree.2. Astronomy. The partial or imperfect shadow outside the complete shadow of an opaque body, as a planet, where the light from the source of illumination is only partly cut off.3. The grayish marginal portion of a sunspot.
Penumbra was coined as an astronomy term in 1660, but gained widespread modern usage after Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas wrote about penumbras in the U.S. Constitution, in the landmark 1965 case Griswold v. Connecticut.
bored to debt
- when your so bored with life that you just spend money to make your life seem more exciting.
ben: what did you do this weekend man?
craig: i went and applied for a future shop card and bought a new 3d tv and a ps3. also went and got a dirtbike....
ben: you already have a 60" led flat panel, and you live in the middle of the city, why did you go and get all that shit?
- Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier: took the first successful balloon flight (1783)
- Marshall Plan: Secretary of State George Marshall outlined his aid program for Europe in a speech at Harvard (1947)
- Six-Day War: began; Israel was victorious against Egypt, Syria and Jordan; Jerusalem was reunited (1967)
- Robert Kennedy: US presidential candidate was shot by Sirhan Sirhan; he died the next day (1968)
- AIDS: first cases were reported by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; they were five people in Los Angeles (1981)
- "Pancho" Villa (Francisco Villa, José Doroteo Arango Arámbula) - Mexican Revolutionary general
- John Maynard Keynes 1883 - Economist
- William Boyd (William Lawrence Boyd) 1895 - Actor
- Dennis Gabor 1900 - Electrical engineer, inventor of holography
- Eddie Joost 1916 - Baseball player
- "Specs" Powell (Gordon "Specs" Powell) 1922 - Drummer
- Bill Hayes (William "Bill" Foster Hayes III) 1925 - Actor
- Tony Richardson (Cecil Antonio "Tony" Richardson) 1928 - Director, producer
- Jacques Demy 1931 - Filmmaker
- Pete Jolly 1932 - Musician
- Bill Moyers 1934 - Broadcast journalist
- Spalding Gray 1941 - Actor, playwright, screenwriter
- Floyd Butler 1941 - Musician (Fifth Dimension)
- Don Reid 1945 - Musician (The Statler Brothers)
- Fred Stone 1946 - Musician (Sly & The Family Stone)
- Gail Davies 1948 - Country singer
- Ken Follet 1949 - author
- Laurie Anderson 1950 - Singer
- Wayne Wood 1951 - Hockey player
- Marva Jean Brooks 1954 - Wife of Muddy Waters
- Karen Sillas 1965 - Actress
- Ron Livingston 1967 - Actor ("Band of Brothers," "Office Space")
- Brian McKnight 1969 - Singer
- Mark Wahlberg 1971 - Actor, singer (Marky Mark)
- Chad Allen 1974 - Singer
- P-Nut 1974 - Musician (311)
- Torry Holt 1976 - Football player
- Liza Weil 1977 - Actress ("The Gilmore Girls")
- Pete Wentz 1979 - Musician (Fall Out Boy)
- Seb Lefebvre 1981 - Musician (Simple Plan)