ruth \ROOTH\, noun:
1. Compassion or pity for another.2. Sorrow or misery about one's own misdeeds or flaws.3. In the Bible, a Moabite woman who married Boaz and became an ancestor of David: the daughter-in-law of Naomi.4. Book of the Bible bearing her name.5. A female given name.
Distinct from the Biblical figure, ruth is a descendent of the Middle English ruthe, from Old Norse hrygdh.
shit just got real
- An expression that explains how a joking or friendly conversation suddenly took a turn for the worse and is escalating towards a hostel situation and/or a physical scuffle.
Tommy: I have never been so tired in my life
George: That's what your mom said last night
Random Yell from Someone Not Actually Involved: SHIT JUST GOT REAL!
- University Boat Race: Oxford bested Cambridge in the first of what is now an annual rowing race (1829)
- Alcoholics Anonymous: was founded by Dr. Bob Smith and Bill W., on the date of Smith's first full "dry" day (1935)
- Rape of Lidice: Nazis murdered all the men of Lidice and deported the women and children (1942)
- ballpoint pen: Lásló Bíró got a patent for a pen he had been developing for nearly a decade (1943)
- Affirmed: the thoroughbred became the eleventh and most recent winner of the Triple Crown (1978)
- Saul Bellow 1915
- Barry Morse 1919
- Prince Philip 1921 - Husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II
- Judy Garland 1922
- Earl Hamner, Jr. 1923 - Television writer and producer
- Nat Hentoff 1925 - Columnist
- June Haver 1926
- Elisabeth Shue 1963
- Emma Anderson 1967 - Musician (Lush)
- Faith Evans 1973 - Singer
- Hugh Dancy 1975 - Actor
- Shane West 1978 - Actor
- Lemisha Grinstead 1978 - Singer (702)
- DJ Qualls 1978 - Actor
- Hoku 1981 - Singer
- Tara Lipinsky 1982 - Figure skater
- Madeleine Thérèse Amélie Joséphine 1982 - Princess Madeleine of Sweden
- Leelee Sobieski 1983 - Actress