swain \SWEYN\, noun:
1. A male admirer or lover.2. A country lad.3. A country gallant.
Swain evolves from swein, Old English for "servant".
- A person with a little bit of money who thinks that their small bankroll gives them the right to discard manners and class. Literally, "the new douche."
PERSON 1: Check out that ass-hat in the "stunna shades" arguing with the hotel manager because they won't give him a free upgrade to a penthouse on a sold-out night.
PERSON 2: He won't even take off his shades to argue with the guy!
PERSON 1: It's probably to protect his eyes from all the cubic zirconium he's wearing to look like "ice."
PERSON 2: Welcome to the nouveau douche.
- ''Casey at the Bat'': was first published, in the San Francisco Examiner (1888)
- Edward White: Gemini 4 astronaut became the first American to walk in space (1965)
- Tupolev Tu-144: Soviet jet crashed at the Paris Air Show; it was the first crash of a supersonic passenger aircraft (1973)
- The Producers: Broadway musical by Mel Brooks won a record 12 Tony Awards (2001)
- William Hone 1780
- Richard Cobden 1804
- Maurice Evans 1901
- Jan Pierce 1904
- Josephine Baker 1906
- Ellen Corby 1911
- Paulette Goddard 1911
- Leo Gorcey 1915
- Lily St. Cyr 1917
- Tony Curtis 1925 - Actor
- Allen Ginsberg 1926
- Boots Randolph 1927
- Chuck Barris 1929 - Game show host ("The Gong Show")
- Dakota Stanton 1932
- Larry McMurtry 1936 - Author
- Curtis Mayfield 1942
- Billy Cunningham 1943 - Basketball player
- Emmit Thomas 1943 - Football player
- Ian Hunter 1946 - Musician (Mott the Hoople)
- John Paul Jones 1946 - Musician (Led Zeppelin)
- Michael Burton 1947
- Too Slim 1948 - Musician (Riders in the Sky)
- Suzi Quatro 1950 - Singer
- Deniece Williams 1951 - Actress
- Billy Powell 1952 - Musician (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- Dan Hill 1954
- Charles Hart 1961
Kerry King (1964): guitarist, Slayer
- Mike Gordon 1965 - Musician (Phish)
- Anderson Cooper 1967 - Broadcast journalist
- Gabriel Hernandez (No Mercy) 1971
- Ariel Hernandez (No Mercy) 1971
- Rafael Nadal 1986 - Tennis player
Imogen Poots 1989 - Actress